Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integral and cylindrical shell

1. May 17, 2006 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Think (as the question advised) in terms of cylindrical shells (elements). You are rotating about the y-axis. What is the radius of the cylinder? What is the height? Hence determine the volume of that element, and set up the integral.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. May 17, 2006 #3
    The region above y=x^2 is sort of in the shape of a bullet pointed straight down the y-axis, and the region below y=x^2 forms a sort of dog dish shaped object. Notice that x=2 is not a bound for the curve. Look at what does bound the curve and that is what you need to find the volume of.

5. May 17, 2006 #4
    Actually, x = 2 is a bound because 0 <= x <= 2. Yeah, the book gives the area for the top part...but I don't see why it can't be the lower part.

If it was the lower part, you still could use cylindrical shells, right?

6. May 17, 2006 #5
    I think I see where you are getting confused...there is a difference between what x varies over, and what the bounds are.

In this case x varies from 0 to 2. That is different from a bound. Suppose the curve y=x^2 was bounded by y=0, and x=1, but x varied from 0 to a billion? It doesn't much matter how x varies so long as the problem makes sense. In this case, x=2 is not a bound, in which case you have the curve y=x^2, y=4 and x=0 (y-axis is x=0) as bounds. Draw that region, then rotate it about the y-axis and you have your volume. Set up the integral and evaluate.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook