Integral curves and one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms

In summary, an integral curve of a vector field on a manifold is a smooth curve that satisfies the equation X_{C(t)}=\dot C_{C(t)} for all t in some interval. This definition allows for the creation of a one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms, represented by the curve C, which can be used to prove the equation C^{C^p(s)}(t)=C^p(t+s). This equation must hold due to the fundamental theorem on existence and unicity of solutions to initial value problems. Additionally, the definition of an integral curve requires the equation to hold over an interval rather than just at a single point in order to capture the idea of following the flow lines of a speed field.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think I understand why a vector field must have a unique set of integral curves, but I don't see why they must define a one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms.

Let X be a vector field on a manifold M, and p a point in M. A smooth curve C through p is said to be an integral curve of X if C(0)=p and

[tex]X_{C(t)}=\dot C_{C(t)}[/tex]

for all t in some interval (-a,a). (I hope it's obvious that what I mean by "dot C" is the tangent vector of C). I'm confused about how this defines a one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms. Supposedly, if we write the integral curve at q as Cq, we can define [itex]\phi_t(q)=C^q(t)[/itex] for all t and q, and now this [itex]\phi[/itex] is a one-parameter group of diffeomorphisms. In particular, this would imply that

[tex]\phi_t(\phi_s(p))=\phi_{t+s}(p)[/tex]

which is equivalent to

[tex]C^{C^p(s)}(t)=C^p(t+s)[/tex]

Let's simplify the notation by calling the integral curve at p C, and the integral curve at C(s) B. The equation becomes

[tex]B(t)=C(t+s)[/tex]

How do we prove that this equation holds?

Also, why does the definition of an integral curve require that [tex]X=\dot C[/tex] holds over an interval rather than just at a single point? I suspect that the answer is that as long as the curve is smooth, it doesn't matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since integrality of a curve is a local thing, we may assume that M=R^n.
To see that the equality
[tex]
C^{C^p(s)}(t)=C^p(t+s)
[/tex]
holds, fix s. Then notice that when evaluated at t=0, both sides are equal (to C^p(s)). And, if you differentiate both sides with respect to t, you will see that both side satisfy the differential equation
[tex]X(\gamma(t))=\dot{\gamma}(t)[/tex]
By the fundamental theorem on existence and unicity of the solutions to inital value (Cauchy) problems, it must be that both sides agree for all t where they are defined. Now since s was arbitrary, both sides coincide for all s and t where they are defined.

As to your second question... given a vector field X, we say that a curve is an integral curve of X at p if it passes through p, and if X coincides with the its tangent vector in a nbh of p. The idea that this definition tries to capture is that if X is thought of as a speed field for a particle of unit mass, then an integral curve at p is one that, locally near p, corresponds to the motion of a unit mass particle caught in that speed field. This is why integral curves are also called "flow lines": because if X is thought of as the speed of a fluid on M, then an integral curve at p follows the motion of a particle of this fluids passing through p.

If we only require that [tex]X\circ C=\dot C[/tex] hold at t=0 in the definition of an integral curve, then cleary this would not capture the idea we want for there is usually curves other that the one following the "flow lines" satisfying [tex]X\circ C=\dot C[/tex]

Thanks quasar. That helped. I think I get it now.

1. What is the difference between integral curves and one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms?

Integral curves are curves on a manifold that are tangent to a vector field at each point. They can be used to describe the behavior of a vector field over time. One-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms, on the other hand, are transformations of the manifold that preserve its structure and are generated by a vector field. They can be used to describe the action of a vector field over time.

2. How are integral curves and one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms related?

Integral curves and one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms are closely related, as the latter can be thought of as a collection of integral curves for a given vector field. In other words, each point on an integral curve corresponds to a different diffeomorphism in the one-parameter group.

3. Can integral curves and one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, both integral curves and one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms can be used to solve differential equations. Integral curves provide a geometric interpretation of the solution, while one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms provide an algebraic representation of the solution.

4. How can one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms be visualized?

One-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms can be visualized as a family of diffeomorphisms acting on the manifold over time. This can be represented graphically as a sequence of different maps that transform the manifold, showing how the vector field changes over time.

5. Are integral curves and one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms used in any practical applications?

Yes, both integral curves and one-parameter groups of diffeomorphisms have practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in the study of dynamical systems, fluid mechanics, and control theory, among other fields.