Integral of (1/x)(ln x)^2 using substitution

  • Thread starter Thread starter st3dent
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 18K views
st3dent
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
I don't know what I'm doing wrong when taking this simple integral.

The integral is:

[tex]\int[/tex] (1/x)(lnx)^2 dx

[tex]\int[/tex] (2/x)(lnx) dx

2[tex]\int[/tex] (lnx/x) dx

Let u = lnx
du/dx = 1/x
dx = xdu

2[tex]\int[/tex] (u/x) xdu

2[tex]\int[/tex] (u) du

2[tex]\int[/tex] (u^2)/2 + C

(2(lnx)^2)/2 + C

(lnx)^2 + C

The answer is obviously wrong...how do i solve this properly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
st3dent said:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong when taking this simple integral.

The integral is:

[tex]\int[/tex] (1/x)(lnx)^2 dx

[tex]\int[/tex] (2/x)(lnx) dx

How did you make that step? ln(x2)= 2ln(x)
but this is (ln(x))2.

Just go ahead and make the substitution u= ln(x) right at the start.
 
thanks

Thanks..seems to work now. I got it. Thanks for all your help.