Integral of a special trigonometic functions

In summary, the special trigonometric functions that have integrals are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. The integral of a special trigonometric function can be found by using specific integration formulas or by using integration by parts. The purpose of finding the integral of a special trigonometric function is to calculate the area under the curve of the function, which is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. There are certain restrictions when finding the integral of a special trigonometric function, such as the function must be continuous and defined on the given interval. And finally, the integral of a special trigonometric function can be used to solve real-life problems, such as calculating displacement
KFC
Hi all,
I am working on the following integral

##
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1+\cos[\alpha x]}{1+\sin x}dx
##

where ##\alpha## is odd integer. Unless I set the ##\alpha## to a number then I can find the integral with mathematica easily. For general case with symbolic ##\alpha##, I cannot find the integral like this kind from any table and mathematica won't give the result as well. I am trying to apply the following relation to simplify the integrand

##
\cos[\alpha x] = 2\cos x \cos[(\alpha-1)x] - \cos[(\alpha-2)x]
##

it doesn't help to compute the integral. Any idea is welcomed. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral does not converge.

1. What are the special trigonometric functions that have integrals?

The special trigonometric functions that have integrals are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

2. How do you find the integral of a special trigonometric function?

The integral of a special trigonometric function can be found by using specific integration formulas or by using integration by parts.

3. What is the purpose of finding the integral of a special trigonometric function?

The integral of a special trigonometric function is used to calculate the area under the curve of the function, which is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

4. Are there any restrictions when finding the integral of a special trigonometric function?

Yes, there are certain restrictions when finding the integral of a special trigonometric function. For example, the function must be continuous and defined on the given interval.

5. Can the integral of a special trigonometric function be used to solve real-life problems?

Yes, the integral of a special trigonometric function can be used to solve real-life problems, such as calculating displacement or velocity in physics or finding the total cost of a loan in finance.