Integral of mean curvature function

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral involving mean and gaussian curvature concepts in differential geometry. The integral is over a surface and involves the unit normal vector and all points on the surface. The question is if there is a way to evaluate this integral and if it is related to Gaussian curvature. It is suggested that using a coordinate system with symmetry may help with the integration. The conversation also mentions the use of the Laplace-Beltrami operator and extending the mean curvature to the interior of the volume.
neelakash
Hello everyone,
I am self teaching some elementary notions of differential geometry. Rather, I should say I am concentrating on mean and gaussian curvature concepts related to a physics application I am interested in. I see one has to evaluate an integral that goes as:

[tex]\int_{\partial\Omega}\kappa\hat{n}\cdot d\vec{r}[/tex]

-where [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] denotes the unit normal vector to the surface [tex]\partial\Omega[/tex]. The integral is done over all the points [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] on the surface. Can anyone tell if there is a prescription to evaluate such integrals as this? If some reference is cited, that will also be helpful.

-Neel

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean "how do we compute this?" ??

If the surface has some nice symmetry spherical or cylindrical symmetry like if it's a conic (ellipsoid, paraboloid, wheteveroid), then you can use the relevant coordinate system (spherical or cylindrical) to integrate.

Well, of course you are right...But, what I was expecting is a bit different...I was wondering if this integral could somehow be related to Gaussian curvature. The physics motivation is that for some specific type of surfaces, the integral which apparently may also be written as:
[tex]\int\nabla_{LB}\vec{r}(u,v)\cdot d\vec{r}(u,v)[/tex]

should contain Gaussian curvature. Here [tex]\nabla_{LB}[/tex] is the Laplace-Beltrami operator.

Last edited:
I think you need to extend the mean curvature of the surface to the interior of the volume that it bounds. Otherwise I am not sure how you would use Stokes theorem.

Hello Neel,

Thank you for your question. The integral you have mentioned is known as the integral of mean curvature function. It is a fundamental concept in the field of differential geometry and is often used in physics applications as well. To evaluate this integral, one can use the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which states that the integral of the mean curvature function over a closed surface is equal to the Euler characteristic of that surface.

In order to evaluate the integral, you will first need to determine the mean curvature function, which is given by \kappa = \frac{1}{2H}, where H is the mean curvature. Once you have the mean curvature function, you can then use the Gauss-Bonnet theorem to evaluate the integral over the surface \partial\Omega. You can refer to any standard textbook on differential geometry for more information on the Gauss-Bonnet theorem and its applications.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your studies in differential geometry!

1. What is the definition of the integral of mean curvature function?

The integral of mean curvature function is a mathematical concept that calculates the average curvature of a surface over a given region. It is represented by the symbol H and is a measure of how much a surface is curved at a specific point.

2. How is the integral of mean curvature function used in science?

The integral of mean curvature function is used in various fields of science, including physics, mathematics, and materials science. It helps to understand the shape and properties of surfaces, such as the surface tension of liquids, the bending of light, and the stability of structures.

3. What is the significance of the integral of mean curvature function in differential geometry?

The integral of mean curvature function is a fundamental concept in differential geometry as it provides a way to measure the curvature of surfaces. It plays a crucial role in various geometric equations and is used to define important concepts such as geodesics and minimal surfaces.

4. How is the integral of mean curvature function related to the Gaussian curvature?

The Gaussian curvature is a measure of the curvature of a surface at a point, while the integral of mean curvature function is a measure of the average curvature over a region. The two are related through the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which states that the integral of mean curvature function over a closed surface is equal to 2π times the surface's Euler characteristic.

5. Are there real-world applications of the integral of mean curvature function?

Yes, the integral of mean curvature function has many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, where it is used to model and render realistic surfaces. It is also used in medical imaging to analyze the shape and curvature of organs and tissues, aiding in diagnosis and treatment planning.