1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Integral of sin^2(ωt) for t

1. Jul 11, 2017 #1
    Hi! I came across a proof in my physics textbook (amperage=wattage/area), and it contained this integration: ∫0 T sin2(ωt) dt

The whole thing: 1/T∫0 T sin2(ωt) dt = 1/T(t/2 + sin2ωt/2ω)|T 0 = 1/2

I didn't remember how to integrate that, so I went back to check my notes, and look at it at Wolfram or some other sites. But the problem is, I get different results. Same for the other sites I checked.

Wolfram: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+sin^2(ω*t)

Cymath (it's a simpler form, but the theory is the same): https://www.cymath.com/answer?q=int(sin(x)^2,x)

So I went to try my hand at it:

0 T sin2(ωt) dt

u = ωt <=> du = ωdt
    sin2(x) = 1/2 - cos(2x)/2

1/ω∫0 T 1/2 - cos2u/2 du = 1/ω [ ∫0 T1/2 du - ∫0 T cos2u/2 du]

We break that into two integrals:

1/ω∫0 T1/2 du = 1/ω (u/2)|T 0 = 1/ω (ωt/2)|T 0 = T/2

1/ω∫0 T cos2u/2 du

k = 2u <=> dk = 2du

1/ω∫0 T cosk/4 dk = 1/4ω∫0 T cosk dk = 1/4ω(sink)|T 0 = 1/4ω(sin2u)|T 0 = 1/4ω(sin2ωt)|T 0 = sin(2ωT)/4ω

But, ω = 2π/T so sin(2ωT)/4ω = 0

In the end, we have: 1/T*(T/2 - 0) = 1/2

The end result is the same, but I wonder which version is correct:

Book: 1/T∫0 T sin2(ωt) dt = 1/T(t/2 + sin2ωt/2ω)|T 0

Other: 1/T∫0 T sin2(ωt) dt = 1/T(t/2 - sin2ωt/4ω)|T 0

Any help is appreciated!

PS: I know that I also have to change the T & 0 when changing the integrating factor (t, then u, then k), but it's been a few years since I've done that, and have forgotten how exactly, so I justkept them the same and reverted the u & k back to their original t-related forms when the time came to find the end result.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2017 #2
    "Other" is correct, as you have shown by your integration. There is a factor of 1/2 that comes from sin2x = 1/2(1-cos2x), and another that comes from ∫-cos2xdx = (sin2x)/2. The book seems to have forgotten one of these.

4. Jul 11, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the confirmation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted