Integral of tangent squared of x

  • Thread starter Thread starter grief
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Tangent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 17K views
grief
Messages
73
Reaction score
1
I tried and tried and I'm not able to solve this. I've managed to find the integral of sin squared of x by using the fact that cos(2x)=1-2(sin(x))^2, but I'm not able to do the same for tangent because I'm stuck with a quotient.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever seen the term tan^2(x) in a derivative of some function? Recognizing this may put you on the right track.
 
well since
1 + (tan(x))^2 = (sec(x))^2

and we know that the derivative of tan(x) is (sec(x))^2

then it's easy to find the integral of (tan(x))^2
 
I've merged your two threads.

P.S.: What "quotient" did you get that you were having trouble integrating? If I could see it, maybe I could give a hint on how to integrate it.

P.P.S.: people learn better when you give them hints, or direction on the problem than when you do most of the steps for them and just leave a short blank at the end.
 
Last edited:
never mind, I was on the wrong track. What d_leet said was right, you need to use (sec(x))^2
 
never mind, I was on the wrong track.
I'm not so sure. You certainly weren't on the easy track, but I am not yet ready to believe you were on the wrong track.