Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integral of tangent squared of x

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    I tried and tried and I'm not able to solve this. I've managed to find the integral of sin squared of x by using the fact that cos(2x)=1-2(sin(x))^2, but I'm not able to do the same for tangent because I'm stuck with a quotient.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you ever seen the term tan^2(x) in a derivative of some function? Recognizing this may put you on the right track.

4. Dec 11, 2005 #3
    well since
    1 + (tan(x))^2 = (sec(x))^2

and we know that the derivative of tan(x) is (sec(x))^2

then it's easy to find the integral of (tan(x))^2

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've merged your two threads.

P.S.: What "quotient" did you get that you were having trouble integrating? If I could see it, maybe I could give a hint on how to integrate it.

P.P.S.: people learn better when you give them hints, or direction on the problem than when you do most of the steps for them and just leave a short blank at the end. :grumpy:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  6. Dec 11, 2005 #5
    never mind, I was on the wrong track. What d_leet said was right, you need to use (sec(x))^2

7. Dec 11, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not so sure. You certainly weren't on the easy track, but I am not yet ready to believe you were on the wrong track.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook