1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of tangent squared of x

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    I tried and tried and I'm not able to solve this. I've managed to find the integral of sin squared of x by using the fact that cos(2x)=1-2(sin(x))^2, but I'm not able to do the same for tangent because I'm stuck with a quotient.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you ever seen the term tan^2(x) in a derivative of some function? Recognizing this may put you on the right track.

4. Dec 11, 2005 #3
    well since
    1 + (tan(x))^2 = (sec(x))^2

and we know that the derivative of tan(x) is (sec(x))^2

then it's easy to find the integral of (tan(x))^2

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've merged your two threads.

P.S.: What "quotient" did you get that you were having trouble integrating? If I could see it, maybe I could give a hint on how to integrate it.

P.P.S.: people learn better when you give them hints, or direction on the problem than when you do most of the steps for them and just leave a short blank at the end. :grumpy:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  6. Dec 11, 2005 #5
    never mind, I was on the wrong track. What d_leet said was right, you need to use (sec(x))^2

7. Dec 11, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not so sure. You certainly weren't on the easy track, but I am not yet ready to believe you were on the wrong track.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?