Integral of third order polynomial exponential

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the stationary phase method for finding an approximated or exact solution to the integral of an exponential function. The method involves finding the critical points of the phase function and approximating the integral near these points. The speaker also mentions a formula for computing a similar integral.
PHAM Duong Hung
Hello,
I am looking for approximated or exact solution of
\begin{align}
I = \int_R \exp(cx^3-ax^2+bx)dx
\end{align}
where $a,b,c$ are complex numbers defined as:
\begin{align}
c &= \frac{1}{3}i\pi\phi'''(t) \notag\\
a &= \dfrac{1}{2\sigma^2}-i\pi \phi''(t) = re^{i\varphi}~~\text{with}~~~ r = \dfrac{1}{2\sigma^2}\sqrt{1+4\pi^2\sigma^4\phi''(t)^2} ~~\text{and}~~\varphi = arctan(-2\pi\sigma^2\phi''(t))\notag\\
b &= -i2\pi\eta
\end{align}

The fact that I computed the following :

\begin{align}
\int_{\mathbb{R}} \exp(i\alpha x^3)dx = \frac{2}{3} \frac{\alpha^{-1/3}\pi}{\Gamma(\frac{2}{3})}
\end{align}

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, for the approximated method I suggest the stationary phase method:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stationary_phase_approximation

The idea is '' you search the critical points of your phase ##cx^3-ax^2+bx## and after you approximate the integral near this points because they contribute in the major part for the area under the function '', this is only the idea for details you can see the link ...

What is the formula for finding the integral of a third order polynomial exponential?

The formula for finding the integral of a third order polynomial exponential is:
∫(a + bx + cx² + dx³)eᵃᵗdx = (a + bx + cx² + dx³)eᵃᵗ/(a + b + c + d) + C
where C is the constant of integration.

What is the significance of the third order in the polynomial exponential?

The third order in the polynomial exponential refers to the highest power of the variable x in the equation. In this case, it is x³. This means that the resulting integral will be a third degree polynomial function.

Can the integral of a third order polynomial exponential be written in a simpler form?

Yes, depending on the values of the coefficients a, b, c, and d, the integral of a third order polynomial exponential can be written in simpler form using partial fractions or substitution techniques.

What is the practical application of finding the integral of a third order polynomial exponential?

The practical application of finding the integral of a third order polynomial exponential is in solving real-world problems that involve exponential growth or decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, or compound interest.

What is the difference between a third order polynomial exponential and a third order exponential?

A third order polynomial exponential is a function that combines both a polynomial and an exponential function, while a third order exponential is simply an exponential function with a third degree polynomial in the exponent. The integral of a third order polynomial exponential will result in a polynomial function, while the integral of a third order exponential will result in an exponential function.