1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of x^x Series Representation

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This has been driving me insane, and I'm sure it's something mind-boggling obvious but I can't seem to find it. I'll go through the work through here, I'm trying to prove that

[tex]\int_0^1{x^xdx}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n^n}[/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution

Basically I'm having a negative somewhere that I'm not accounting for in my derivation of this. I'll just go through what I do step by step here until where I'm positive my error occurs...

[tex]\int_0^1{x^xdx}=\int_0^1{e^{xln(x)}dx}[/tex]

[tex]e^{xln(x)}dx=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}x^nln^n(x)[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}\int_0^1x^nln^n(x)dx[/tex] and then I made the substitution [tex]u=-ln(x)[/tex] or [tex]e^{-u}=x,dx=-e^{-u}du[/tex] and I get after changing the bounds of integration

[tex](-1)^{n+1}{\int_0^{\infty}e^{-u(n+1)}u^ndu[/tex]

Here's the problem, I'm supposed to get [tex](-1)^n[/tex] as the constant in the integrand at this point but I can't get that extra -1 to go away. Ignoring that constant the rest of the proof goes out without a hitch, just using the Gamma function etc. but I can't make this silly negative go away! Can anyone see my mistake? =(

Thank you!

*Edit: The rest of the derivation from the last step. I made another substitution [tex]v=u(n+1),du=dv/(n+1)[/tex] and then I get

[tex]\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n+1}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-v}\left(\frac{v}{n+1}\right)^ndv=\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(n+1)^{n+1}}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-v}v^{n}dv[/tex].

That last formula is the one for [tex]\Gamma(n+1)=n![/tex] so then I get after substituting back into the sum,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{n!}{n!}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(n+1)^{n+1}}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(n+1)^{n+1}}[/tex].

Now I do make that substitution into the sum, setting [tex]n+1=k[/tex] I get

[tex]\int_0^1x^xdx=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k^k}[/tex]. The problem is that I'm supposed to get [tex](-1)^{k+1}[/tex] in that final sum rather than [tex](-1)^k[/tex].

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2
    You'll kick yourself, Cistra: your sum is from n=0, the required sum is from k=1 (replacing their n with k), so at the end just put k=n+1.

4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    Hrm, that's what I did (edited with full derivation above) and I'm off by one power of -1 at my conclusion.

5. Nov 28, 2008 #4
    Actually, with your substitution we have

[tex]\int_0^1x^nln^n(x)dx = \int_{\infty}^{0}e^{-nu}(-u)^n(-e^{-u}\, du) \,\, = \, \, -(-1)^n\int_{\infty}^{0}e^{-u(n+1)}u^n\, du \, \, = \, \, (-1)^n\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-u(n+1)}u^n\, du[/tex]

6. Nov 28, 2008 #5
    Argh! I didn't look closely at my bounds...thank you for your assistance Unco.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?