Integral with dot product in it

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral involving a radial unit vector, constant vector, and solid angle element. The individual had trouble solving it and considered using components, but eventually solved it by decomposing everything in Cartesian coordinates and finding the correct unit vectors. The final answer was \frac{4\pi}{3}\vec{a}.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I need to evaluate this integral:

[tex]\int (\hat{r}\cdot\vec{a})\hat{r}d\Omega[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] is the radial unit vector, [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] is a constant vector and [tex]d\Omega[/tex] is solid angle element ([tex]\sin\theta d\theta d\phi[/tex]).

I saw something similar, but it was with tensors, and mean values but that was puzzling enough :\

I tried looking at components, but I came to nothing smart. I have the answer ([tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}\vec{a}[/tex]).

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Should I try to write everything in component form and directly integrate? I'll try that...

EDIT:

Ok I solved it! I needed to decompose everything in Cartesian coordinates and then I ended up with 9 double integrals, of which I had 3 that survived and they were all [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/tex] with different unit vectors, so that combined gave [tex]\vec{a}[/tex].

:)

Last edited:

1. What is an integral with dot product in it?

An integral with dot product in it is a mathematical expression that combines the concepts of integration and dot product. It involves finding the area under the curve of a function while multiplying it by the scalar product of two vectors.

2. How is an integral with dot product used in science?

An integral with dot product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work and energy when dealing with forces in multiple dimensions. It is also used in statistics and data analysis to calculate correlations between variables.

3. What are some real-world applications of an integral with dot product?

An integral with dot product has various applications, such as calculating the work done by a force on an object moving in a curved path, calculating the torque on a rotating object, and determining the similarity between two sets of data in statistics.

4. How do you solve an integral with dot product in it?

Solving an integral with dot product involves first finding the dot product of the two vectors and then integrating the resulting scalar function. This can be done using various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or using integral tables.

5. Are there any limitations to using an integral with dot product?

One limitation of using an integral with dot product is that it can only be applied to functions that can be represented by vectors. Additionally, it may not always be easy to determine the limits of integration in more complex problems, making the calculation more challenging.