Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral with infinitesimal under root

1. Jun 15, 2014 #1
    I want compute the following integral:

$$\\ \int f(x,y) \sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}$$
    Is correct this pass-by-pass:
    $$\\ \sqrt{\left( \int f(x,y) \right)^2} \sqrt{dx^2+dy^2} = \sqrt{\left( \int f(x,y) \right)^2 (dx^2+dy^2)} = \sqrt{\left( \int f(x,y) \right)^2 dx^2 + \left( \int f(x,y) \right)^2 dy^2} = \sqrt{\left( \int f(x,y) dx \right)^2 + \left( \int f(x,y) dy\right)^2}$$
    ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please define what this means. Or at least, please tell us where you saw this.

4. Jun 15, 2014 #3
    The only time that I have ever seen notation like this is when ##x## and ##y## can be parameterized. Then This is interpreted as
    ##\displaystyle\int f(x,y)\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2dt^2+\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2dt^2}=\int f(x,y)\sqrt{x'(t)^2+y'(t)^2}dt##
    which may be hard to compute but should make sense. Passing the integral under the square root does not make sense. An integral is a limit of sums which can't be passed under the square root.

The integral property ##\left|\int fdx\right|\leq\int\left|\ fdx\right|## should convince you that your first step is not guaranteed to work.

5. Jun 15, 2014 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Converting to polar coordinates is an option, that ugly square-root will become ##dr##.

6. Jun 15, 2014 #5
    That's true too. It depends on whether this is a surface or line integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook