1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals in cylindrical coordinates.

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    Integrate the function f(x,y,z)=−7x+2y over the solid given by the "slice" of an ice-cream cone in the first octant bounded by the planes x=0 and y=sqrt(263/137)x and contained in a sphere centered at the origin with radius 25 and a cone opening upwards from the origin with top radius 20.

I am not sure I am getting the right picture. Here are the bounds for the integral I found.

arctan(sqrt(263/137)) <= theta <= pi/2
    0 <= z < 15
    0 <= r <= (4/3)z

I am integrating in the order of dr dz d_theta.

The integrand I cam up with is...
    -7r2 * cos(theta) + 2r2 * sin(theta) dr dz d_theta

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong. I keep getting a crazy answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You did it well, the bounds are correct. What is the result?

ehild

4. Nov 4, 2013 #3
    I finally did the integral right and I get 3500 * sqrt(263) + 1000 * sqrt(137) - 70000 which is about -1534.83. I put the exact answer into my web HW and it is wrong. I checked the integral with my CAS calculator and this is what it gets as well. Maybe the answer is positive but I only have six attempts and I don;t want to waste them. Can someone do the integral and tell me what they get?

5. Nov 5, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to integrate from x=0 to the section of the line in the third quadrant, that is from theta=pi/2 to theta = pi+arctan(sqrt(263/137))

ehild

6. Nov 5, 2013 #5
    I think the problem said it is only in the volume in the first octant.

7. Nov 5, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see. Then your result must be correct, but use less significant digits. I would omit the decimals.

ehild

8. Nov 5, 2013 #7
    With this web HW system I can actually enter the exact value "3500 * sqrt(263) + 1000 * sqrt(137) - 70000".

9. Nov 5, 2013 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe it would do...

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted