In summary, the conversation discusses how to describe a region within a sphere and above a paraboloid using three different coordinate systems. The individual calculates the integrals for each coordinate system and then struggles with computing an integral in their chosen coordinate system. They try using trigonometric substitution but get stuck with the complexity of the equations. They seek help for a strategy to solve the integral.
Draconifors

Homework Statement

The first part of the question was to describe E the region within the sphere ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16## and above the paraboloid ##z=\frac{1}{6} (x^2+y^2)## using the three different coordinate systems.

For cartesian, I found ##4* \int_{0}^{\sqrt{12}} \int_{0}^{12-x^2} \int_{\frac{1}{6} (x^2 + y^2)}^{\sqrt{16-x^2-y^2}} 1 dz dy dx## by splitting the domain into quarters because I found it easier.
For cylindrical I got ##\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{12}} \int_{\frac{r^2}{6}}^{\sqrt{16-r^2}} r dz dr d\theta##.
Spherical gave me ##\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}} \int_{0}^{4} \rho^2 sin(\phi) d\rho d\phi d\theta + \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \int_{0}^{\frac{6 cos(\phi)}{sin^2(\phi)}} \rho^2 sin(\phi) d\rho d\phi d\theta## by splitting the domain into two with respect to ##\rho##'s boundaries.
(I'm including these mostly as a reference point, without my calculations, but I can go through my calculations if necessary.)

The second part of the question -- the one I'm having trouble with -- is then computing ##\iiint \limits_E (x^2+y^2)^2 dV## in my coordinate system of choice.

Homework Equations

##\cos^2\theta = 1 - \sin^2\theta ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So to compute ##\iiint \limits_E (x^2+y^2)^2 dV##, I chose cylindrical because it reduced the inside of the integral to ##r^5##. However, I then get stuck after I integrate with respect to z, because I get $$\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{12}} \left(r^5 * \sqrt{16-r^2} - \frac{r^7}{6} \right) dr d\theta$$.

I first tried u-sub, which doesn't work on the equation as-is. I also attempted trig sub, but I don't know if it's simply because I'm out of practice or whether it's not the system to use, but I can't finish my calculations because of the complexity of the equations I remain with.

I used trig sub with ##r = 4\sin\theta## , ##dr = 4\cos\theta = \sqrt{16-r^2}##.
This gave me $$\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{12}} \left[ (4\sin\theta)^5 * \sqrt{16-16\sin^2\theta} \right) d\theta dr d\theta$$ at which point I confused myself by the presence of the two ## d\theta ##.
Even simply calculating the indefinite integral of the above, I ended up with ##-16384 \left[\frac{u^3}{3} - \frac{2u^5}{5} + \frac{u^7}{7} \right] ##, after having used a u-sub with ##u = \cos\theta## and ##du = -\sin\theta d\theta##. Considering that ##u = \sqrt{1 - (\frac{r}{4})^2}##, I don't see how I'll be able to then integrate with respect to ##\theta##.

I can put up all my calculations if necessary, but what I really want is a technique or strategy hint so that I can solve this, because, from where I'm standing, the boundaries for the three coordinate systems are quite hard to compute with respect to the first integral (i.e. z and ##\rho##).

Physics news on Phys.org
Draconifors said:
at which point I confused myself by the presence of the two dθdθ d\theta .
You cannot express ##r## as a function of ##\theta##. You must choose a name for your substitution variable that does not already exist or you will just end up with nonsense.

1. What is a triple integral using cylindrical coordinates?

A triple integral using cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume within a three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a region in three-dimensional space using cylindrical coordinates, which consist of a radius, an angle, and a height or z-coordinate.

2. How is a triple integral using cylindrical coordinates different from a regular triple integral?

A triple integral using cylindrical coordinates is different from a regular triple integral because it uses a different coordinate system. Instead of using x, y, and z coordinates, cylindrical coordinates use a combination of a radius, an angle, and a height or z-coordinate. This allows for a more efficient and simpler calculation in certain situations, such as when dealing with symmetric shapes like cylinders or cones.

3. What are the benefits of using cylindrical coordinates for triple integrals?

One of the main benefits of using cylindrical coordinates for triple integrals is that it simplifies the calculation process in certain situations. This is because it allows for the integration to be broken down into simpler one-dimensional integrals. Cylindrical coordinates are also useful when dealing with symmetric shapes, as it makes it easier to visualize and understand the region being integrated over.

4. When should I use cylindrical coordinates for a triple integral?

Cylindrical coordinates are most commonly used for triple integrals when dealing with objects that have a cylindrical or rotational symmetry. This includes shapes such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. It is also useful when the region being integrated over is defined by boundaries that are more easily expressed in cylindrical coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using cylindrical coordinates for triple integrals?

While cylindrical coordinates are useful in many situations, they may not always be the best choice for calculating triple integrals. For example, if the region being integrated over is not symmetric or if the boundaries are more easily expressed in Cartesian coordinates, then cylindrical coordinates may not be the most efficient option. In these cases, it is important to carefully consider which coordinate system will lead to the simplest and most accurate calculation.