1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals involving Secant & Tangent Derivation

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the power of the secand is even and positive..
    [tex]\int sec^{2k} x tan^{n} x dx = \int (sec^2 x)^{k-1} tan ^n x sec^2 x dx [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The way I see it,

[tex] sec^{2k} x = sec^2 x dx * sec^k x dx[/tex]

the next step seems to be to break down sec^k, but on closer introspection, the break down goes something like this

[tex]sec^k x dx = (sec^2 x dx)^{k-1} = sec^{2k-2}x dx[/tex]

I'm having trouble intuitively accepting that something like 2k-2 = k. It doesn't seem to add up, there seems to be something a bit more complex into it that is left out of detail.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2
    You may want to review your exponent rules.

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    [tex] (x^n)^m = x^{nm}[/tex]
    [tex] sec^m x = (sec x)^m[/tex]
    [tex] (sec^2 x)^{k-1} = (sec x)^ {(2)(k-1)}[/tex]

5. May 13, 2012 #4
    OK. If ## x^{nm}=(x^n)^m ## (which is correct), then what is ## x^n\cdot x^m ##?

6. May 13, 2012 #5
    This is right, note that there are two terms on the right integral.

Umm, I don't think that's right remember that [tex]a^{b}*a^{c}=a^{b+c}[/tex]

I also don't know where your [tex]dx[/tex] terms are coming from there.

You seem to have multiplied your exponents correctly, but forgot that there is another [tex]sec^{2}x[/tex] term in the right integral up top.

When doing this integral

[tex]\int sec^{2k} x tan^{n} x dx = \int (sec^2 x)^{k-1} tan ^n x sec^2 x dx [/tex]

From here there is a handy trig identity involving [tex]sec^{2}x[/tex] that you can use to make it into something easy to use u substitution on.

7. May 13, 2012 #6
    [tex] = x^{n+m}[/tex]

8. May 13, 2012 #7
    I tend to do silly mistakes sometimes, just ignore them.

Oh there you go, now I get back the original expression. Thanks. ^.^

I know about u substitution, the calculation is fairly trivial to me. What I was primarily concerned with is the derivation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook