Taking the root of sec^2 in an integral

In summary, the integral ##\displaystyle \int \sin x \sqrt{1+ \tan ^2 x} dx## can be rewritten as ##\int \sin x \sqrt{\sec ^2 x} dx##, but determining the correct sign of ##\sec x## to use in the integrand depends on the interval of integration. If the interval contains points where ##\cos x > 0##, then ##\sqrt{\sec^2 x} = \sec x## is valid, and if the interval contains points where ##\cos x < 0##, then ##\sqrt{\sec^2 x} = -\sec x## is valid. This results in a piecewise-defined function that is
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##\displaystyle \int \sin x \sqrt{1+ \tan ^2 x} dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So clearly we have that ##\displaystyle \int \sin x \sqrt{\sec ^2 x} dx##, but I am not sure how to proceed. Isn't it true that ##\sqrt{\sec ^2 x} = | \sec x|##? How would I integrate ##\sin x | \sec x |##?

Physics news on Phys.org
i would ignore the absolute value and then try sin.sec = sin/cos = tan. oh wait, it is better to do sin/cos as maybe -log(cos)? then differentiate back and see how close you came.

then just match up the signs according to what interval you are working on. i.e. your original integrand is positive precisely when sin is positive, so tan works for example on intervals where both sin and cos are positive.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
i would ignore the absolute value and then try sin.sec = sin/cos = tan. oh wait, it is better to do sin/cos as maybe -log(cos)? then differentiate back and see how close you came.

then just match up the signs according to what interval you are working on. i.e. your original integrand is positive precisely when sin is positive, so tan works for example on intervals where both sin and cos are positive.
Why am I allowed to just ignore the absolute value?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Why am I allowed to just ignore the absolute value?

You will get two possible answers, each valid within different regions. If you take ##\sqrt{\sec^2 x} = \sec x## your integrand is ##\tan x##, and is valid in any region where ##\cos x > 0.##. If you take ##\sqrt{\sec^2 x} = -\sec x## your integrand is ##-\tan x##, and is valid wherever ##\cos x < 0.##

If you were doing a definite integral of the form
$$\int_a^b \sin x \sqrt{\sec^2 x} \, dx,$$
you would need to be extra careful about which of these cases to use. If the integration limits ##a## and ##b## happened to be in different regions (that is, in regions where ##\cos x## changes sign) you would need to worry even more about whether the integral even exists at all, since you would be integrating through a point where the integrand is singular. In such a case an ordinary integral might not exist, but a "principal value" integral might---I am not sure.

Note added in edit: I am now sure a principal-value integral does not exist.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You will get two possible answers, each valid within different regions. If you take ##\sqrt{\sec^2 x} = \sec x## your integrand is ##\tan x##, and is valid in any region where ##\cos x > 0.##. If you take ##\sqrt{\sec^2 x} = -\sec x## your integrand is ##-\tan x##, and is valid wherever ##\cos x < 0.##

If you were doing a definite integral of the form
$$\int_a^b \sin x \sqrt{\sec^2 x} \, dx,$$
you would need to be extra careful about which of these cases to use. If the integration limits ##a## and ##b## happened to be in different regions (that is, in regions where ##\cos x## changes sign) you would need to worry even more about whether the integral even exists at all, since you would be integrating through a point where the integrand is singular. In such a case an ordinary integral might not exist, but a "principal value" integral might---I am not sure.

Note added in edit: I am now sure a principal-value integral does not exist.
By your example I see clearly how this would work in the case of a definite integral, but I don't see which sign of sec to choose in this case where we are working with an indefinite integral.

Mr Davis 97 said:
By your example I see clearly how this would work in the case of a definite integral, but I don't see which sign of sec to choose in this case where we are working with an indefinite integral.

You can't: either sign can be true sometimes and false sometimes. All you can do is write "cases" that depend on the sign of ##\cos x.## That will give you a piecewise-defined function that is always "true".

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What does it mean to take the root of sec^2 in an integral?

Taking the root of sec^2 in an integral means to find the inverse function of the secant squared function, which is the cosine function. This is often used in integration by substitution to simplify the integral.

2. Why is taking the root of sec^2 important in integration?

Taking the root of sec^2 is important because it helps to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It also helps to transform the integral into a form that can be easily solved using basic integration techniques.

3. What is the relationship between sec^2 and its root in an integral?

The relationship between sec^2 and its root in an integral is that they are inverse functions of each other. This means that taking the root of sec^2 will give the original function, and vice versa.

4. How do you take the root of sec^2 in an integral?

To take the root of sec^2 in an integral, you can use the inverse function property of sec^2, which is cos^2. This will transform the integral into a form that can be easily solved using basic integration techniques.

5. Are there any specific rules or techniques for taking the root of sec^2 in an integral?

Yes, there are specific rules and techniques for taking the root of sec^2 in an integral. One common technique is to use trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity, to simplify the integral. It is also important to keep track of any changes to the limits of integration when taking the root of sec^2.