1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate 1/z^2 Over a Closed Curve

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    [tex]\int_\alpha\frac{1}{z^2}dz[/tex]

I can't figure out how to integrate this over a closed circle which contains the origin on its interior. I'm assuming it is equal to 2πi; is there a way to apply Cauchy's Integral Theorem? If I set f(z)=1/z then that is not analytic on the interior, so I don't see how I can apply the theorem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    oops I mean't cauchy's integral theorem. But that theorem would require that f(z)=1/z by analytic at zero.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, you can't use that theorem here...

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5
    oops shoot I meant cauchys integral formula! sorry about that lol. How can I use that? Would f(z) just equal 1?

Edit: Ah wait so I could use the generalized formula with f(z)=1 and get 2πi, is that right?

Super Duper Edit: But wait I'm sorry that would give me 0 because the derivative of a constant function is 0, but I'm quite sure it should be 2πi, so something's wrong.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. Dec 8, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not 2pi*i. It's 0. Do what you did in the other thread and integrate around the unit circle and put z=exp(it). Change it to an integral dt. Use the cauchy integral theorem on the difference between the unit circle and the contour alpha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook