Integrate dy/dx=0 and arbitrary constant?

In summary, this student is unsure of how to integrate a function with a constant of integration. They need to find a simpler way, using the property that dy/dx = 0. After doing this, they find that the function must have a constant value of y, which can be found by adding C1 to both sides.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Integrate:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex]

The attempt at a solution
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{dx}=\int 0\,.dx[/tex]
The answer is: [itex]y=0[/itex] or [itex]y=0+A[/itex]?
This is the part which is confusing, as i know that integral of 0 is 0, but do i have to add a constant of integration??

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a dy/dx which is as positive as negative over the interval, that could be zero. fix it was e.g. sin(x)
But yeah, a constant.

Now that i think about it, here is a simple example:
Let [itex]y=5[/itex]
Now, if i integrate 0, then i should normally get 5. So, the constant of integration has to be involved.

sharks said:
Homework Statement
Integrate:

The attempt at a solution
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{dx}=\int 0\,.dx[/tex]
The above should be
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{dx}~dx=\int 0\,.dx[/tex]
You are integrating both sides of the original equation, with respect to x.

sharks said:
The answer is: [itex]y=0[/itex] or [itex]y=0+A[/itex]?
This is the part which is confusing, as i know that integral of 0 is 0, but do i have to add a constant of integration??
Zero is merely one antiderivative of 0.

A simpler approach is as follows.
Since dy/dx = 0, then y must be a constant. IOW y ##\equiv## C.

Also, when you integrate both sides of an equation, there is a constant of integration for each side. So the integration that you did would look like this:
y + C1 = 0 + C2

Of course, you can subtract C1 from both sides to end up with y = C, where C = C2 - C1.

Thank you for the clarification, Mark44. :smile:

Most teachers will mark off on homework or a test if you do not include the "constant of integration". If F(x) is an anti- derivative of f(x)- that is, if F'(x)= f(x), then [itex]\int f(x)dx= F(x)+ C where C can be any number.

1. What does dy/dx=0 represent in terms of calculus?

Dy/dx=0 represents a horizontal tangent line on a graph, indicating that the slope of the curve at that point is 0. This means that the rate of change of the function at that point is not changing.

2. How do you solve an equation with an arbitrary constant?

To solve an equation with an arbitrary constant, you must first integrate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. This will eliminate the derivative and leave you with the original function and an arbitrary constant. You can then use initial conditions or other information to determine the value of the constant.

3. What is the significance of the arbitrary constant in the integrated equation?

The arbitrary constant represents all possible solutions to the integrated equation. It is necessary because when we integrate, we lose information about the original function and therefore have multiple possible solutions. The value of the arbitrary constant allows us to choose a specific solution that satisfies any given initial conditions or other constraints.

4. Can the arbitrary constant have a specific value?

Yes, the arbitrary constant can have a specific value depending on the given initial conditions or constraints. In some cases, it may also be left as a general constant and not assigned a specific value.

5. How do you determine the value of the arbitrary constant?

The value of the arbitrary constant can be determined by using initial conditions or other constraints. For example, if the initial condition is given as y(0)=2, you can substitute this into the integrated equation and solve for the value of the constant. In some cases, the value of the constant may be left as a general constant and not assigned a specific value.