Integrate over all values of a vector

In summary, the conversation revolves around a simple question about integrating over all values of a 2-dimensional vector using a Dirac delta function. The conversation also touches upon the use of spherical polar coordinates and the notation used in the integral. The main goal is to calculate a vector using a double integral, and the conversation provides different ways to approach it, including using Cartesian and polar coordinates. The conversation also clarifies the role of the absolute value in the integrand and the importance of understanding the intermediate steps in solving such integrals.
Ionophore
Hi,

This is probably a really simple question, but I think that I am getting lost in notation. I want to integrate the following over all values of the (2-dimensional) vector [tex]\overline{r}[/tex]:

[tex]
\int_{\overline{r}} \frac{\delta(\abs{\overline{r}-L})}{2\pi L} \overline{r} d\overline{r}
[/tex]

Basically, I want to integrate over all space. I think that the way to proceed is to convert to spherical polar coordinates but I'm not really sure how.

Edit
... delta is a dirac delta function. Sorry I didn't specify that before... maybe it's adding unnecessary complexity to my question. All i really want to know is how to deal with the [tex]\overline{r}[/tex] out front.

Thank you,

-ben

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your notation is also sloppy. For example, is L a vector, or did you mean
[tex]\delta(|\vec r| - L)[/tex]
(the delta restricting the length of r?)

Also, should the integral produce again a vector v? Then basically, it says[tex]
v_i = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\delta(r_1^2 + r_2^2 - L)}{2\pi L} r_i \, dr_1 dr_2
[/tex]

where [itex]v_i[/itex] denotes the i-th component.

Whoops, I'm sorry, I did mean magnitude:

[tex]
\int_{\vec{r}} \frac{\delta(\abs{|\vec{r}|-L})}{2\pi L} \vec{r} d\vec{r}
[/tex]

So, then, I am to understand that the above is really a double integral? What is meant by [tex]r_i[/tex], [tex]dr_1[/tex] and [tex]dr_2[/tex]?

Ionophore said:
So, then, I am to understand that the above is really a double integral?
One of the basic theorems of multivariable calculus is that a single integral over a two-dimensional region can be computed by a double integral, each over one-dimensional regions. (And similarly for higher-dimensional regions) Surely you've done such things before? e.g. integrating density over a three-dimensional region to calculate mass?

I assume the same ideas would hold for multivariate distributions. (so that it would be valid with a Dirac delta distribution)

Incidentally, it looks much easier in Cartesian coordinates. By the way, did you mean [itex]\delta^2[/itex] instead of [itex]\delta[/itex]?

So:

[tex]
\int_{\vec{r}} \frac{\delta(\abs{|\vec{r}|-L})}{2\pi L} \vec{r} d\vec{r}

= \int_{r_{x}} \int_{r_{y}} \frac{\delta(\abs{|\vec{r}|-L})}{2\pi L} r_{x}r_{y}dr_{x}dr_{y}
[/tex]

Where [tex] r_{x} [/tex] and [tex] r_{y} [/tex] are the components of [tex] \vec{r} [/tex], and the integrations extend from -infinity -> infinity. I think I see.

Thanks everyone,

-ben

Edit:
And yes, of course, I have "done" this before, but that intermediate step is never shown, and so I just sort of memorized the general idea without really understanding it.

Almost. Note that there is a vector [itex]\vec r[/itex] in the integrand. So either you will calculate a vector, that is:
[tex]\vec I = \int_{r_{x}} \int_{r_{y}} \frac{\delta(\abs{|\vec{r}|-L})}{2\pi L} \vec r dr_{x}dr_{y}[/tex]
meaning
[tex]I_x = \int_{r_{x}} \int_{r_{y}} \frac{\delta(\abs{|\vec{r}|-L})}{2\pi L} r_x dr_{x}dr_{y}[/tex]
and
[tex]I_y = \int_{r_{x}} \int_{r_{y}} \frac{\delta(\abs{|\vec{r}|-L})}{2\pi L} r_y dr_{x}dr_{y}[/tex].
Or, you are still forgetting some absolute value, and you actually mean
[tex]\int_{r_{x}} \int_{r_{y}} \frac{\delta(\abs{|\vec{r}|-L})}{2\pi L} |\vec r| dr_{x}dr_{y} = \int_{r_{x}} \int_{r_{y}} \frac{\delta(\abs{|\vec{r}|-L})}{2\pi L} \sqrt{r_x^2 + r_y^2} dr_{x}dr_{y}[/tex].

Also, since you mentioned something about polar coordinates: note that this is just one way to write the integral. This is what we usually do, because we are used to think about (x, y) Cartesian coordinates in the plane. However, you can also go to polar coordinates [itex](r, \theta)[/itex], then your integral would read (assuming you meant |r| instead of r-vector in the integrand):
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\delta(\abs{r-L})}{2\pi L} r \times r \, dr d\theta[/tex]
(check that!). It looks different, but note that there are still two integrals which need to be done. Which coordinates you want to use is up to you, and is often dictated by some (usually physical) principle such as a symmetry; for example if you have rotation invariance (the integrand only depends on [itex]|\vec r| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex] it is much easier to use polar coordinates), if your integrand is [itex]x^2[/itex] you would be better of using Cartesian coordinates.

1. What does it mean to "integrate over all values of a vector"?

Integrating over all values of a vector means to perform a mathematical process called integration, which involves summing up the contributions of all possible values of a vector in a given range. This is often used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to find the area under a curve or the volume of a three-dimensional shape.

2. How is integration over all values of a vector different from regular integration?

Regular integration involves finding the antiderivative of a function and then evaluating it at specific limits. Integration over all values of a vector, on the other hand, involves considering all possible values of a vector within a given range and summing up their contributions. This can be thought of as a higher-dimensional form of regular integration.

3. What are some real-world applications of integrating over all values of a vector?

Integrating over all values of a vector is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as work, energy, and electric or magnetic fields. It is also used in statistics to calculate probabilities and in economics to model supply and demand curves.

4. Is it possible to integrate over all values of a vector in more than three dimensions?

Yes, it is possible to integrate over all values of a vector in any number of dimensions. This is known as multidimensional integration and is often used in advanced mathematics and physics to solve complex problems involving higher-dimensional spaces.

5. What are some techniques for performing integration over all values of a vector?

There are several techniques for performing integration over all values of a vector, including Riemann sums, Monte Carlo integration, and the trapezoidal rule. These methods involve dividing the given range into smaller intervals and approximating the sum of all values within each interval. More advanced techniques, such as Gaussian quadrature, can also be used for more accurate results.