1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrated track length in electromagnetic shower

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that integrated track length in EM-shower is proportional to ##E_0##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##E(t)=\frac{E_0}{2^t}##, with radiation length, ##x_0##. Knowledge that shower terminates at ##E_c##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The total track length is naturally the total number of particles in the shower (until terminal ##E_c##) multiplied by the radiation length. Therefore, I have, $$T_{int}=x_0\int_0^{t_{max}}2^t\,dt,$$ where ##t_{max}=\log_2{\frac{E_0}{E_c}}##. Therefore, I have, $$T_{int}=x_0(\frac{2^{t_{max}}}{\ln(2)}-\frac{1}{\ln(2)})=\frac{x_0}{\ln(2)}(\frac{E_0}{E_c}-1).$$

However, this is not exactly proportional to ##E_0##, evidently differing by a constant. Any ideas on where I may be going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can assume that ##\frac {E_0}{ E_c} \gg 1## - otherwise there would be no shower.

The assumption that your track number is a continuous real number is an approximation anyway - you never have 1.1, 1.2462, ... tracks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted