Integrating a function of the complex conjugate of x with respect to dx

In summary: In this case, the real part of the derivative f(z) is zero, so the limit exists and the integral can be evaluated. This method is known as the Euler-Lagrange equation.I don't believe the function sin(conjugate(z)) is holomorphic so it won't end up having a complex anti-derivative.This mean that numerical integration will be needed.Is it a definite or indefinite integral?If it is definite, what path would you like to use? A complex integral can be looked at as a path integral in the plane, for which a parametrization might make it feasible to calculate exactly. But like Skrew
HilbertSpace
The reason I ask the aforementioned question is because I came across the expectation values of operators in Quantum Mechanics. And part of the computation involves integrating a function of the complex conjugate of x with respect to dx.

So as an example let's say I have:

∫ sin (x*) dx where the * denotes the complex conjugate.

How would I do it? (I would post an attempt to solve it but I have no idea whether to even treat the x* as a constant, or variable or...something).Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is [itex]x[/itex] a complex variable, then?

Yes, x is a complex variable.

If your x is just real or imaginary conjugate(x) = x or conjugate(x) = -x and so integration can be performed pretty easily.

I don't believe the function sin(conjugate(z)) is holomorphic so it won't end up having a complex anti-derivative.

This mean that numerical integration will be needed.

Is it a definite or indefinite integral?

If it is definite, what path would you like to use? A complex integral can be looked at as a path integral in the plane, for which a parametrization might make it feasible to calculate exactly.

But like Skrew said, this does not look amenable to methods from complex analysis like computing residues.

Skrew said:
If your x is just real or imaginary conjugate(x) = x or conjugate(x) = -x and so integration can be performed pretty easily.

I don't believe the function sin(conjugate(z)) is holomorphic so it won't end up having a complex anti-derivative.

This mean that numerical integration will be needed.

IN Fact holomorphic depends on the derivative wrt z* to be zero

Mandlebra said:
IN Fact holomorphic depends on the derivative wrt z* to be zero

I'm not well versed on different approaches but my book defines d/dz and d/d(conjugate(z)) to be such that the cauchy Riemman equations are satisified IFF d/d(conjugate(z)) = 0, at which point the definition of the derivative can be applied and the limit exists.

Is there another way to look at this using the difference quotient of conjugate(z)?

Some insight may be gained by considering the integral over a path P consisting of a straight line segment at angle θ to the real axis:
[itex]\int_{P}f(z).d\overline{z} = e^{2i\theta} \int_{P}f(z).dz[/itex]

1. What is the definition of a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate refers to a pair of complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

2. Can a function of the complex conjugate of x be integrated with respect to dx?

Yes, a function of the complex conjugate of x can be integrated with respect to dx, just like any other function. The process is the same as integrating a real-valued function.

3. How do I find the complex conjugate of a function?

To find the complex conjugate of a function, you simply replace every instance of the variable x with its complex conjugate, which is denoted by x*. For example, the complex conjugate of f(x) would be f(x*).

4. Is the integral of a function of the complex conjugate of x always a complex number?

No, the integral of a function of the complex conjugate of x can result in a complex number or a real number, depending on the function being integrated. The presence of the complex conjugate does not necessarily mean the result will be complex.

5. What are some applications of integrating a function of the complex conjugate of x?

Integrating a function of the complex conjugate of x is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It can be used to solve problems involving complex numbers, such as in electrical circuits and analyzing oscillatory systems.