Integrating a square box to find maximum volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rectangular tank with a square base and two different materials. The cost of the materials is $65 per square meter for the sides and top, and $130 per square meter for the base, with a total cost of $5,000. The volume of the tank can be given by V = x²(5000 - 195x²/260x) and the dimensions for maximum volume can be determined using V = x²h. The limitation of $5000 for materials is also mentioned and the conversation suggests drawing a picture and writing expressions to find the total cost.
Bmrboi
Hi guys!
I thought it was [STRIKE]intergration[/STRIKE]integration, i think its differentiation.

Im having problems trying to figure out where to start with this question:

A rectangular tank with a square base x meters and height h meters is to be made from two different materials.

Material for the sides and top cost $65 per square meter, the material for the base cost $130 per square meter and the total cost is $5,000.

a) Show that the volume of the tank can be give by V= x²(5000-195x²/260x).

b) Determine the dimensions of the tank for maximum volume.

Now, from what I gather V= b X l X h or b²Xh. All valves seem to be a factor of $65 ie the darer material is twice the price of the cheaper material.

I just need someone to help me understand what I should be looking for, the square meter part throws me off.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Bmrboi

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bmrboi said:
Hi guys!
I thought it was [STRIKE]intergration[/STRIKE]integration, i think its differentiation.

Im having problems trying to figure out where to start with this question:

A rectangular tank with a square base x meters and height h meters is to be made from two different materials.

Material for the sides and top cost $65 per square meter, the material for the base cost $130 per square meter and the total cost is $5,000.

a) Show that the volume of the tank can be give by V= x²(5000-195x²/260x).
What you wrote is V = x2[5000 - (195x2/260x)]. Is that what you are asked to show? If it isn't, then you need some more parentheses.
Bmrboi said:
b) Determine the dimensions of the tank for maximum volume.

Now, from what I gather V= b X l X h or b²Xh. All valves seem to be a factor of $65 ie the darer material is twice the price of the cheaper material.
Don't use X to indicate multiplication, especially when x is already a variable in the problem. You can write this as V = b2h or b2 * h.

Why are you using b, though? In the problem statement, it says that the base of the tank is a square that is x meters on each side, so V = x2h.
Bmrboi said:
I just need someone to help me understand what I should be looking for, the square meter part throws me off.
There is a limitation of $5000 for materials. Draw a picture of a box with a top, and write expressions for the areas of the bottom, top, and four sides.

Then write an expression for the total cost, given that the bottom needs to be made of the more expensive stuff, and the sides and top made of the cheaper stuff.

1. How do you integrate a square box to find maximum volume?

To integrate a square box to find maximum volume, you will need to set up an equation for the volume of the box in terms of one variable (usually the side length). Then, take the derivative of the equation and set it equal to 0 to find the critical point. Finally, use the second derivative test to determine if the critical point is a maximum or minimum.

2. What is the formula for the volume of a square box?

The formula for the volume of a square box is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side of the box.

3. Can you use calculus to find the maximum volume of any shape box?

Yes, calculus can be used to find the maximum volume of any shape box as long as the volume can be expressed as a function of one variable.

4. Is it always necessary to use calculus to find the maximum volume of a square box?

No, it is not always necessary to use calculus to find the maximum volume of a square box. For a simple square box, it can also be found by trial and error or using basic algebraic methods.

5. What are the benefits of using calculus to find the maximum volume of a square box?

The benefits of using calculus to find the maximum volume of a square box include the ability to find the exact maximum value, rather than just an approximation. It also allows for optimization of more complex shapes that cannot be solved using basic algebraic methods.