Integrating Exp, Trig Composite function

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem in which they were having trouble with the arithmetic of complex numbers. After reviewing complex numbers, they were able to rationalize the denominator of the equation and solve the problem.
NickKnack

Homework Statement

Hey, I've been working through a book and one problem just gets me that I know should be a piece of cake. I don't know if I'm just being an idiot or not seeing something but the problem is to take int e^(ax)cos(bx)dx and int e^(ax)sin(bx)dx simultaneously by multiplying the second integral by i, combine and integrate, and then separate back out the real and imaginary parts of the answer to get both solutions. By looking on an integral table i know that my answer isn't right and i can tell that it obviously isn't right because I'm not explicitly integrating the trig functions. Anyway, here's what I have so far.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

int(e^(ax) cos(bx))dx + i*(int e^(ax)sin(bx)dx)
int(e^(ax)(cos(bx) + isin(bx))dx)
int(e^(ax+ibx)dx)
int(e^(x(a+ib)))dx
1/(a+ib)e^(ax)(cos(bx) + isin(bx)) => 1/a*e^ax*cosbx and 1/b*e^ax*sin(bx) ?!?

I know I'm doing something simple and stupid incorrectly or maybe it's good and in the wrong form but this is driving me crazy!
thanks in advance for any help. oh, and sorry about the typing, i couldn't get the latex thing to work right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you intend your last expressions to be [tex]\frac1a e^{ax} \cos bx[/tex] and [tex]\frac1b e^{ax} \sin bx[/tex]; if so, you need to parenthesize: (1/a)*e^(ax)*cos(bx) and so on.

Given that: the real part of [tex]\frac1{a + ib}[/tex] is not [tex]1/a[/tex], and the imaginary part is not [tex]1/b[/tex]. Review the arithmetic of complex numbers to find how to compute the real and imaginary parts of the reciprocal of a complex number.

To rationalize the denominator of

[tex]\displaystyle {{1}\over{a+ib}}\,,[/tex]

Multiply

[tex]\displaystyle {{1}\over{a+ib}}\cdot{{a-ib}\over{a-ib}}\,,[/tex]

without canceling factors in the numerator & denominator.

thanks ystael,
i figured that it was because i can't do algebra. finished it out and it works :)

1. What is an "Integrating Exp, Trig Composite Function"?

An integrating exp, trig composite function is a mathematical function that combines exponential and trigonometric functions. It is used to model complex real-world phenomena and is commonly seen in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How do you integrate an exp, trig composite function?

The integration of an exp, trig composite function involves using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is important to carefully identify the type of function and choose the appropriate method to integrate it.

3. Can you provide an example of an exp, trig composite function?

One example of an exp, trig composite function is f(x) = e^(sinx). This function combines the exponential function e^x and the trigonometric function sinx.

4. Why is integrating exp, trig composite functions important?

Integrating exp, trig composite functions allows us to solve real-world problems and understand the behavior of complex systems. It is also an important tool in calculus and other mathematical fields.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating exp, trig composite functions?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to use the chain rule, making errors in substitution, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to carefully check each step and be familiar with the properties of exponential and trigonometric functions.