Integrating Gaussian functions with erf

In summary, the conversation discusses solving integrals involving Gaussian functions and the use of the error function. The speaker uses the error function to solve one integral, and then integrates by parts to solve another. They question if there is a simpler way to solve the third integral, and mention a formula for solving integrals of higher powers. The speaker shares their attempt at solving the integral, but notes that the textbook provides a one-line working solution.
bigevil

Homework Statement

I'm doing a problem on Gaussian functions (there are other constants to make it interesting, but I've removed them here):

1. [tex] \int_{0}^{x} e^{-x^2} dx [/tex]
2. [tex] \int_{0}^{x} x e^{-x^2} dx [/tex]
3. [tex] \int_{0}^{x} x^2 e^{-x^2} dx [/tex]

We know that

[tex] erf(z) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{x} e^{-x^2} dx [/tex]

I can use the error function to solve 1. For 2, I integrate by parts:

[tex] \int_{0}^{x} x e^{-x^2} dx = \big[ \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} x.erf(x) \big]_0^{x} - \int_{0}^{x} e^{-x^2} dx =\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} x . erf(x) - \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} . erf(x) [/tex]

Now I want to integrate part 3, and an obvious route to go is integration by parts, but is there a simpler way? Surely I'm not going to do IBP if I was given an integral of an even higher power? I'm doing a question in a (physics) textbook with all the constants and that to make it interesting, but it really boils down to this. My book gives a one line working, which is as follows:

[tex] \int_{0}^{32} x^2 e^{-x^{2}/4} = - \frac{64}{256} + 2 \sqrt{\pi} erf[16] [/tex]

Homework Equations

Is there a simple, obvious way to do this integral without IBP? I do know that

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{2n} e^{-x^2} dz = \sqrt{\pi} \frac{1.3.5...(2n-1)}{2^n} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried doing the integration by parts, which was fine, but seeing as my book provides a one-line working for this integral, I figure it should be even easier than that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, what happened to my Tex??

Test:
[tex]\leftrightarrow\rightarrow\rightharpoonup\rightharpoondown[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of integrating Gaussian functions with erf?

The purpose of integrating Gaussian functions with erf is to determine the area under the curve of a Gaussian function, which can represent various physical phenomena such as probability distributions or signal processing. Erf, or the error function, is used to describe the shape of the Gaussian curve and is necessary for accurately calculating the integral.

2. How is the error function (erf) related to Gaussian functions?

Erf is closely related to Gaussian functions, as it is defined as the integral of the standard Gaussian distribution from 0 to x. This means that erf is a mathematical function that describes the shape of the Gaussian curve and is often used in conjunction with Gaussian functions to solve integrals.

3. What is the formula for integrating Gaussian functions with erf?

The formula for integrating Gaussian functions with erf is:∫ e^-x^2 dx = √π/2 * erf(x) + Cwhere C is the constant of integration. This formula can be used to solve integrals of Gaussian functions with various limits.

4. Can integrating Gaussian functions with erf be done analytically?

Yes, integrating Gaussian functions with erf can be done analytically using the aforementioned formula. However, for more complex Gaussian functions, numerical methods may be necessary to obtain an accurate solution.

5. How is integrating Gaussian functions with erf useful in science and engineering?

Integrating Gaussian functions with erf is a powerful tool in science and engineering, as it allows us to calculate the area under a Gaussian curve, which can represent numerous physical phenomena. This can help us understand and analyze data from experiments, model and predict future events, and make informed decisions in various fields such as statistics, physics, and finance.