Integrating \int xJ_0(ax)J_0(bx)dx w/ Bessel Functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
MarkovMarakov
Messages
32
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


How do I integrate [itex]\int_0^1 xJ_0(ax)J_0(bx)dx[/itex] where [itex]J_0[/itex] is the zeroth order Bessel function?

Homework Equations


See above.
Also, the zeroth order Bessel equation is [itex](xy')'+xy=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Surely we must use the fact that [itex]J_0[/itex] is a Bessel function, since we can't integrate any old function in the given integral. But I don't know how.

Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you @phyzguy. I tried it out but it doesn't seem to be working. What should the inout format be?
 
The input should be:

Integrate[x BesselJ[0, a x] BesselJ[0, b x], {x, 0, 1}]

The output is:

(a BesselJ[0, b] BesselJ[1, a] -
b BesselJ[0, a] BesselJ[1, b])/(a^2 - b^2)

which is [tex]\frac{a J_0(b) J_1(a) - b J_0(a) J_1(b)}{a^2-b^2}[/tex]
 
@phyzguy: Thanks! :-) How did you figure out the inout format for WA? Do you know how I can get the steps as well?