Solving Bessel Functions Homework Questions

In summary, the conversation involves calculating derivatives and integrals involving Bessel functions and determining a constant in an infinite sum involving the zeros of the function. Part a) simplifies to 0, while part b) involves integrating the entire expression in part a) with respect to x and finding a suitable constant. Part c) involves determining a constant in an infinite sum involving the zeros of the function.
skrat

Homework Statement

Calculate:
a) ##\frac{d}{dx}(xJ_1(x)-\int _0^xtJ_0(t)dt)##
b) ##xJ_1(x)-\int _0^xtJ_0(t)dt##
c) let ##\xi _{k0} ## be the ##k## zero of a function ##J_0##. Determine ##c_k## so that ##1=\sum _{k=1}^{\infty }c_kJ_0(\frac{x\xi _{k0}}{2})##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##\frac{d}{dx}(xJ_1(x)-\int _0^xtJ_0(t)dt)=xJ_0(x)-xJ_0(x)=0##.

b) What do I do with the integral? Should I calculate ##J_n(x)=\frac{1}{\pi }\int _0^{\pi }cos(tsin\varphi -n\varphi)d\varphi ## for n=0?

c) Hmmm, no idea here :/

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Calculate:
a) ##\frac{d}{dx}(xJ_1(x)-\int _0^xtJ_0(t)dt)##
b) ##xJ_1(x)-\int _0^xtJ_0(t)dt##
c) let ##\xi _{k0} ## be the ##k## zero of a function ##J_0##. Determine ##c_k## so that ##1=\sum _{k=1}^{\infty }c_kJ_0(\frac{x\xi _{k0}}{2})##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##\frac{d}{dx}(xJ_1(x)-\int _0^xtJ_0(t)dt)=xJ_0(x)-xJ_0(x)=0##.

b) What do I do with the integral? Should I calculate ##J_n(x)=\frac{1}{\pi }\int _0^{\pi }cos(tsin\varphi -n\varphi)d\varphi ## for n=0?

c) Hmmm, no idea here :/

I'm no expert in the theory of Bessel functions, but isn't the expression in part b) just the integral of the entire expression in a) wrt x? Integrating 0 gives you a constant. The constant can easily be found by subbing in a suitable value of x, right?

c) exceeds my knowledge, someone else will have to help, sorry.

Related to Solving Bessel Functions Homework Questions

1. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special functions that were discovered by mathematician Daniel Bernoulli and later studied by Friedrich Bessel. They are solutions to a variety of differential equations and have applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. Why are Bessel functions important?

Bessel functions are important because they have many real-world applications, such as in solving problems involving waves, heat transfer, and signal processing. They also have properties that make them useful in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

3. How do I solve Bessel function homework questions?

The best way to solve Bessel function homework questions is to first understand the properties and equations related to Bessel functions. Then, use these equations to solve the specific problem at hand. It may also be helpful to use mathematical software or calculators to assist with calculations.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving Bessel function homework questions?

Some common mistakes when solving Bessel function homework questions include using incorrect equations, not considering boundary conditions, and making errors in calculations. It is important to carefully check your work and ensure that you are using the correct equations and following the necessary steps to solve the problem.

5. Can Bessel functions be solved by hand?

Yes, Bessel functions can be solved by hand using various methods such as series expansions, integral representations, and recurrence relations. However, for more complex problems, it may be more efficient to use mathematical software or calculators to solve Bessel function equations.