1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem while playing with Bessel functions

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have run in to a number of problems while working through problems regarding Bessel and Modified Bessel Functions. At one point I run in to [itex]i^{m}e^{\frac{im\pi}{2}}[/itex] and it needs to equal [itex](-1)^m[/itex] but I'm not sure how it does. This came up while trying to solve an identity for a modified Bessel function in problem 14.5.2 in Arfken and Weber 'Mathematical Methods for Physicists'. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]i^{m}e^{\frac{im\pi}{2}}[/itex]=[itex](-1)^m[/itex] but how??

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for this by expanding the exponent in to cos and sin but I wind up with [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+(-1)^{m}\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex] and don't know how that can equal [itex](-1)^m[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is an error in [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+(-1)^{m}\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex], that should be [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+i\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex]

An easy way to solve your exercise it to consider four case separately: ##m=0, m=1,m=2, m=3##.

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3
    You're right, I just typed it out incorrectly. Okay, I'll try and consider those cases; Thank you.

5. Nov 30, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you express i in polar form, you have i = e(iπ/2). From there, you should be able to find im in polar form quite easily and then to find the product of im and e(imπ/2) in polar form.

Soon after that, a vist from your Uncle Bob can be expected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted