Problem while playing with Bessel functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Bessel and Modified Bessel Functions, specifically i^{m}e^{\frac{im\pi}{2}} needing to equal (-1)^m. The solution involves expanding the exponent into cos and sin and considering four cases separately. It is suggested to express i in polar form and find the product of im and e(imπ/2) in polar form.
saybrook1

Homework Statement

I have run into a number of problems while working through problems regarding Bessel and Modified Bessel Functions. At one point I run into [itex]i^{m}e^{\frac{im\pi}{2}}[/itex] and it needs to equal [itex](-1)^m[/itex] but I'm not sure how it does. This came up while trying to solve an identity for a modified Bessel function in problem 14.5.2 in Arfken and Weber 'Mathematical Methods for Physicists'. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Homework Equations

[itex]i^{m}e^{\frac{im\pi}{2}}[/itex]=[itex](-1)^m[/itex] but how??

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for this by expanding the exponent into cos and sin but I wind up with [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+(-1)^{m}\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex] and don't know how that can equal [itex](-1)^m[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
saybrook1 said:

Homework Statement

I have run into a number of problems while working through problems regarding Bessel and Modified Bessel Functions. At one point I run into [itex]i^{m}e^{\frac{im\pi}{2}}[/itex] and it needs to equal [itex](-1)^m[/itex] but I'm not sure how it does. This came up while trying to solve an identity for a modified Bessel function in problem 14.5.2 in Arfken and Weber 'Mathematical Methods for Physicists'. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Homework Equations

I solved for this by expanding the exponent into cos and sin but I wind up with [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+(-1)^{m}\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex] and don't know how that can equal [itex](-1)^m[/itex]
There is an error in [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+(-1)^{m}\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex], that should be [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+i\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex]

An easy way to solve your exercise it to consider four case separately: ##m=0, m=1,m=2, m=3##.

Samy_A said:
There is an error in [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+(-1)^{m}\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex], that should be [itex]i^{m} [cos\frac{m\pi}{2}+i\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}][/itex]

An easy way to solve your exercise it to consider four case separately: ##m=0, m=1,m=2, m=3##.
You're right, I just typed it out incorrectly. Okay, I'll try and consider those cases; Thank you.

saybrook1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If you express i in polar form, you have i = e(iπ/2). From there, you should be able to find im in polar form quite easily and then to find the product of im and e(imπ/2) in polar form.

Soon after that, a vist from your Uncle Bob can be expected.

1. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special functions that are solutions to a variety of mathematical problems, including differential equations and complex analysis. They are named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel, who first studied them in the 19th century.

2. When are Bessel functions used?

Bessel functions are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, astronomy, and signal processing. They often arise in problems with circular or cylindrical symmetry, such as in wave propagation, heat conduction, and fluid dynamics.

3. What is the relationship between Bessel functions and other types of special functions?

Bessel functions are closely related to other special functions, such as Legendre polynomials and hypergeometric functions. In fact, they can be expressed in terms of these functions and vice versa. This allows for the use of Bessel functions in a wide range of applications.

4. What are some properties of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have several important properties that make them useful in solving mathematical problems. For example, they are oscillatory and can take on both positive and negative values. They also have infinite series and integral representations, which can be used to compute their values at different points.

5. Are there different types of Bessel functions?

Yes, there are several types of Bessel functions, including the first kind (Jn), second kind (Yn), modified Bessel functions (In and Kn), and spherical Bessel functions (jn and yn). Each type has its own set of properties and applications, and they are all related to each other through certain mathematical relationships.