Integrating over the unit circle

In summary, we are given that the function ##f(z)## is analytic and satisfies ##|f(z)| \le 1## for all complex numbers ##z## on the unit circle. We want to compute the derivative of ##f(z)## at ##z=0## using the formula ##f'(0) = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(z)}{(s-z_0)^2} ds##. By taking the modulus of both sides, using the theorem ##|\int_C f(z) dz| \le \int_C |f(z)| dz##, and noting that ##|s^2| = 1## on the unit circle, we can
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Suppose that the function ##f(z)## is analytic and that ##|f(z)| \le 1## for all ##|z| = 1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was hoping someone could verify my work.

Okay, if I understand correctly, ##|f(z)| \le 1## is true for all all complex numbers ##z## on the unit circle. In my book we have a theorem which states that the derivative of ##f(z)## can be computed by calculating an integral; that is,

##f'(z_0) = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(z)}{(s-z_0)^2} ds##

In this particular case, ##z_0 = 0##, which gives us

##f'(0) = \int_C \frac{f(z)}{s^2} ds##

where we will integrate over the unit-circle. Taking the modulus of both sides,

##|f'(0)| = | \int_C \frac{f(z)}{s^2} ds|##

There is a theorem which states that ##|\int_C f(z) dz| \le \int_C |f(z)| dz##. Using this we get

##|f'(0)| \le \int_C |\frac{f(z)}{s^2} | ds \iff##

##|f'(0)| \le \int_C \frac{|f(z)|}{|s^2|} ds##

Because we are integrating over the unit circle, ##|f(z)| \le 1## over the unit circle; substituting this larger quantity in, we get

##|f'(0)| \le \int_C \frac{1}{|s^2|} ds##.
I am stopping here, because, as I write it, it no longer seems correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to the differential dz when you take the absolute value inside the integral?
What happened to your pre factor of 1/(2πi)?
What is |s^2| on the unit circle?

Orodruin said:
What happens to the differential dz when you take the absolute value inside the integral?

hmmm...I am not sure...##|dz| = \sqrt{(dx)^2 +(dy)^2}##?

Orodruin said:
What happened to your pre factor of 1/(2πi)?

Ah! I always seem to neglect that portion.

Orodruin said:
What is |s^2| on the unit circle?

##|s^2| = |s|^2## but ##|s| \le 1## so ##|s^2| \le 1##

Bashyboy said:
hmmm...I am not sure...##|dz| = \sqrt{(dx)^2 +(dy)^2}##?

Yes, you must take the absolute value also of the differential. I am assuming you are using z = x + iy here.

Bashyboy said:
##|s^2| = |s|^2## but ##|s| \le 1## so ##|s^2| \le 1##

No, we are on the curve that is the unit circle, not in the unit disk (which is an area and not a curve).

Orodruin said:
No, we are on the curve that is the unit circle, not in the unit disk (which is an area and not a curve).

Ah, of course. So ##|s^2|## would be ##1## on the unit circle.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Ah, of course. So ##|s^2|## would be ##1## on the unit circle.
Correct. Putting these pieces together, you should now be essentially done.

What does it mean to "integrate over the unit circle"?

Integrating over the unit circle refers to the process of finding the area under a curve on a circular graph with a radius of 1. This is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

Why is integrating over the unit circle important?

Integrating over the unit circle is important because it allows us to calculate the area under a curve on a circular graph, which can help us solve complex mathematical and scientific problems.

What is the formula for integrating over the unit circle?

The formula for integrating over the unit circle is ∫0 f(cosθ)sinθ dθ, where f(cosθ) is the function being integrated and θ is the angle on the unit circle.

What is the difference between integrating over the unit circle and integrating over a regular circle?

The main difference between integrating over the unit circle and a regular circle is the radius. A unit circle has a radius of 1, while a regular circle can have any radius. This affects the calculations and formula used for integration.

How is integrating over the unit circle used in scientific research?

Integrating over the unit circle is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can help researchers calculate areas, volumes, and other important values in their experiments and studies.