Integrating sine where argument goes to infinity.

In summary, the conversation is about deriving a dispersion relation in a magnetized plasma with a kinetic approach. The problem arises when trying to take the limit of the trigonometric function as the argument goes to infinity. The person is seeking help on how to handle this issue.
sreerajt
After some integration, i am getting a form [itex]e^{i \alpha\phi+i\beta\phi\sin(\phi-\phi')-i\gamma\sin\phi} [/itex], where ##\alpha, \beta, \gamma## are constants. Now i want to apply the limit where ##\phi ## ranges from 0 to ##\infty ## (ya, in the argument of sine we will encounter ##\infty ## which is exactly my problem). How can i do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the original problem? We need to see a context. Please, post it.

Okay. i am trying to derive a dispersion relation in magnetized plasma with kinetic approach. By the by i am taking only two terms, just forget about the last term in the above equation. We will encounter a term##I=
\int_0^\infty cos(\phi-\phi')e^{g_1(\phi')}\,d\phi'\\## where ##g_1(\phi')= i \alpha \phi'+i\beta sin(\phi-\phi')##. Differentiating ##g_1(\phi')## with respect to ##\phi'## and then substituting back into ##I_1## will give
##I_1=\alpha\int_0^\infty e^{g_1(\phi') d\phi'}+ \gamma\int_0^\infty \frac{dg_1(\phi')}{d\phi'}e^{g_1(\phi')}d\phi'##. It is the second term that causes trouble. From second term, ##\frac{dg_1(\phi')}{d\phi'}e^{g_1(\phi')}d\phi= d(e^{g_1(\phi')})##. So ##I_1= firstterm + \gamma\int_0^\infty d(e^{g_1(\phi')})##. Now, i think, you can make sense out of it.
Thanks in advance...

The trig function do NOT have a limit as the argument goes to infinity.

HallsofIvy said:
The trig function do NOT have a limit as the argument goes to infinity.
i understand that sir. But, when you do the maths it comes into picture. And this is why i posted the question here.
Thank you...

1. What is the definition of sine function?

The sine function is a mathematical function that is defined for all real numbers. It is defined as the ratio of the opposite side of a right triangle to its hypotenuse.

2. What happens to the value of sine when the argument goes to infinity?

As the argument of the sine function approaches infinity, the value of sine oscillates between -1 and 1 infinitely. This means that the value of sine does not approach a specific value as the argument goes to infinity.

3. How do you integrate sine when the argument goes to infinity?

To integrate sine when the argument goes to infinity, you can use the limit definition of the integral. This involves taking the limit as the upper bound of the integral goes to infinity, and using the appropriate substitution to evaluate the integral.

4. What is the relationship between integrating sine and its argument going to infinity?

Integrating sine when the argument goes to infinity can be thought of as finding the area under an infinitely oscillating curve. This can be challenging because the value of the integral will depend on the starting point of integration, and the result may not always converge.

5. Are there any real-world applications of integrating sine when the argument goes to infinity?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of integrating sine when the argument goes to infinity. Some examples include analyzing the behavior of mechanical systems, calculating the power output of alternating current circuits, and modeling the behavior of waves in physics.