Integrating the generator lines of an elliptical orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a constant with respect to a differential and how it relates to the concept of generator lines in an ellipse. The individual is seeking help in understanding this concept and expresses gratitude for the assistance.
Appleton
Hi,
I am having difficulty understanding the following:

[itex]\int^{2π}_{0}(x+y)\,dθ[/itex] = [itex]\int^{2π}_{0} 2a\,dθ[/itex] = [itex]\textbf{4}πa[/itex]

where x and y are the generator lines of an elipse, a is the semimajor axis and θ is the angle formed by x and the major axis.

I understand that x+y = 2a. However I don't understand how to integrate with respect to θ without expressing (x+y) or 2a in terms of θ.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of a constant, such as 2a, with respect to any differential, dx, is that constant times the variable x. Normally, [itex]\int C dx= Cx[/itex] (plus a constant of integration) is one of the first integral facts one learns in Calculus.

Appleton said:
Hi,
I am having difficulty understanding the following:

[itex]\int^{2π}_{0}(x+y)\,dθ[/itex] = [itex]\int^{2π}_{0} 2a\,dθ[/itex] = [itex]\textbf{4}πa[/itex]

where x and y are the generator lines of an elipse, a is the semimajor axis and θ is the angle formed by x and the major axis.

I understand that x+y = 2a. However I don't understand how to integrate with respect to θ without expressing (x+y) or 2a in terms of θ.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Because 2a and (x + y) are not the variables of integration, they are treated as constants and can thus be pulled out of the integral.

##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} 2a \ d\theta = 2a \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \ d\theta = \Bigl.2a \theta \ \Bigr|_{\theta = 0}^{\theta = 2 \pi} = 4 \pi a##

Thanks for the help. I stumbled into this whilst reading "Gamma, exploring Euler's constant". I was inspired to get this after reading John Derbyshire's "Unknown Quantity, a real and imagined history of Algebra" which I found hugely illuminating. However as someone who only studied maths until 16 I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this new book.

1. What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which an object, such as a planet or satellite, follows a path that is shaped like an ellipse. This means that the object's distance from the center of its orbit varies at different points in its path.

2. What are generator lines in an elliptical orbit?

Generator lines in an elliptical orbit refer to the two imaginary lines that connect the two foci of an ellipse. These lines are used to measure the distance between the object in orbit and the center of the ellipse.

3. Why is it important to integrate the generator lines of an elliptical orbit?

Integrating the generator lines of an elliptical orbit is important because it allows us to accurately predict the path of an object in orbit. By understanding the relationship between the object's distance from the center of the orbit and the generator lines, we can determine the object's position at any given time.

4. How is the integration of generator lines of an elliptical orbit calculated?

The integration of generator lines of an elliptical orbit is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the object's position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations use the properties of an elliptical orbit, such as the semi-major axis and eccentricity, to determine the object's path.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating generator lines of an elliptical orbit?

Integrating generator lines of an elliptical orbit has many practical applications, such as predicting the path of satellites and spacecraft, understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and determining the timing and location of astronomical events. It is also used in the design and operation of satellite communication systems and navigation systems, such as GPS.