Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating the generator lines of an elliptical orbit

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I am having difficulty understanding the following:

[itex]\int^{2π}_{0}(x+y)\,dθ[/itex] = [itex]\int^{2π}_{0} 2a\,dθ[/itex] = [itex]\textbf{4}πa[/itex]

where x and y are the generator lines of an elipse, a is the semimajor axis and θ is the angle formed by x and the major axis.

I understand that x+y = 2a. However I don't understand how to integrate with respect to θ without expressing (x+y) or 2a in terms of θ.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The integral of a constant, such as 2a, with respect to any differential, dx, is that constant times the variable x. Normally, [itex]\int C dx= Cx[/itex] (plus a constant of integration) is one of the first integral facts one learns in Calculus.

4. May 1, 2012 #3
    Because 2a and (x + y) are not the variables of integration, they are treated as constants and can thus be pulled out of the integral.

##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} 2a \ d\theta = 2a \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \ d\theta = \Bigl.2a \theta \ \Bigr|_{\theta = 0}^{\theta = 2 \pi} = 4 \pi a##

5. May 1, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the help. I stumbled into this whilst reading "Gamma, exploring Euler's constant". I was inspired to get this after reading John Derbyshire's "Unknown Quantity, a real and imagined history of Algebra" which I found hugely illuminating. However as someone who only studied maths until 16 I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this new book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook