1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\Psi(x,t) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} C(p)\Psi_{p}(x,t) dp[/itex]

is a solution to the Schroedinger equation for a free particle, where

[itex]\Psi_{p}(x,t) = Ae^{i(px-Ept)/\hbar}[/itex].

For the case [itex]C(p) = e^{-(p-p_{0})^{2}/\sigma}[/itex]

where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a real constant, compute the wavefunction at time t=0.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-αp^{2}+βp} = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{α}}e^{\frac{β^{2}}{4\alpha}}[/itex]

where α is a positive real constant and β may be complex.

2. The attempt at a solution

This is the first part of one questions on a set of QM problems I've been given. I've made no progress with this part, because I don't know how to integrate the product of an exponential to a real number and an exponential to an imaginary number.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's keeping you from plugging everything in and using the relevant equation/hint?

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3
    I can't isolate the [itex]p^{2}[/itex] term.

When I take the treat the integrand as an exponential to a complex power, I wind up with

[itex]e^{-\frac{(p^{2}-2pp_{0}+p_{0}^{2})}{\sigma}+\frac{ix}{\hbar}p}[/itex]

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I guess I'm still kind of confused about where you're getting stuck. This is just basic algebra.
    $$-\frac{p^2 - 2pp_0 + p_0^2}{\sigma}+\frac{ix}{\hbar}p = -\frac{1}{\sigma}p^2 + \left(\frac{2p_0}{\sigma}+\frac{ix}{\hbar}\right) p - p_0^2.$$ You may, however, find it easier to change variables in the integral first using the substitution ##p' = p-p_0##, and then deal with the exponentials.

6. Mar 17, 2013 #5
    Ahh sweet, that's cleared things up a little - many thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted