1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating with Infinite boundaries

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{x-1}{x^5-1}dx = \frac{4\pi}{5}sin(\frac{2\pi}{5}) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is actually a piece of work from a complex analysis module (not sure if it belongs in this part of the forum or in the analysis section)

I know that for any infinite bounded integrals you separate them to be [tex] \lim_{c\to -\infty} \int_c^0f(x)dx + \lim_{c\to +\infty}\int_0^cf(x)dx [/tex]
    and I have factorised [itex] x^5-1 = (x-1)(x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x + 1) [/itex]

Will I be integrating this as normal or is there a different way to do this if so please help me start :(.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Since you found this problem in the context of complex analysis, you're probably meant to evaluate the integral by associating it with a complex integral, which you can evaluate using the residue theorem.

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

SALAAH_BEDDIAF, this is the correct forum section. I deleted your post in the other section.

5. Dec 5, 2013 #4
    So I understand I will be evaluating this integral using Cauchy's Residue Theorem so I must find the singularities in the function, this is when [itex] (x-1)(x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x + 1) = 0 [/itex], from [itex] (x-1)[/itex] we get a singularity to be 1, but I'm having difficulty finding [itex](x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x + 1) [/itex] to be 0

6. Dec 5, 2013 #5

Mark44

The solutions of x5 - 1 = 0 are the 5th roots of unity. One of the roots is 1, which you already know. The other four are complex.

7. Dec 5, 2013 #6
    so the roots of [itex](x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x + 1)[/itex] are also the remaining roots of [itex](x^5-1)[/itex]?

8. Dec 5, 2013 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes.

9. Dec 5, 2013 #8
    Okay, so I have all the roots now, as these roots are very difficult to be represented by fractions, can I use the approximate roots to find the residues or will I have to use the exact value?

10. Dec 5, 2013 #9

Mark44

If you write them in polar form, they're very simple.

11. Dec 6, 2013 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All n roots of [itex]z^n- 1= 0[/itex] lie on the circle |z|= 1 and are equally spaced around it. Since the denominator is fifth degree (odd) it has roots 1 and -1 but no roots on the imaginary axis. Of course, to use residues you need to integrate around a closed path. I would recommend integrating from "-iR" to "iR", for R> 1, along the imaginary axis, then on a semicircle back to "-iR". Finally, let R go to infinity.

12. Dec 6, 2013 #11

Mark44

-1 isn't one of the roots. If n were even, it would be, but n is odd in this equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted