1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating with ln in denominator.

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    Ok, so it's been a while since I've had to integrate anything, much less something like this.

[tex]\int \frac{1}{n(1 + \ln{n})^{2/3}} dn[/tex]

I'm thinking u substition for ln(n) and then du becomes 1/n? But, since the ln(n) is in the denominator of a fraction raised to a power, wouldn't that mess with du? Or am I on the right track? I checked my calculus book and surfed the web, and couldn't find an integral for ln, so I can't see any other way...

If it helps, this is for a series check by integration to see if it's convergant or divergant, so it goes from nothing to infinity.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2
    Substitute u = ln(n), then substitute 1+u = v^3, and you simply have the integral of 3 dv
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    You've got the right idea. Remember, a substitution is just that, substituting in another number or variable, so why would you be worried? :smile:
  5. Oct 1, 2006 #4
    Because these things take a LONG time, and then I don't even know if I have the right answer unless I get stuck (then I know it's wrong).

Thanks. I'll play around with that tomorrow. I've been doing my homework for like 3 hours now, so I think I'll go to bed. :)
  6. Oct 1, 2006 #5
    Also, remember that you can always check your answer by taking the derivative of your answer and seeing if it turns out to be the integrand

EDIT: Just by looking at it, it seems that your answer will be very straighforward and take very little steps to arrive at.

EDIT2: koroljov: you shouldn't simply provide the answer in such a situation.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?