Integration Bounds for E-field Calcualtion

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining the E-field for a uniformly spherical charge distribution, specifically when the field is located outside of the sphere. There is confusion about the bounds for 's' and integrating from z+r to z-r, which is resolved by considering the vector relation s=z-r and plugging in the prior bounds. The text being referenced is by Corson and Lorrain, which is not as rigorous as the Stratton text.
Ren Figueroa
Hi guys.
I’m looking at the brute force way at getting the E-field for a uniformly spherical charge distribution. The location of the E-field of interest is anywhere outside of the sphere. Here are some images

2144084E-89F7-4467-9BDF-A100591ED4FE.jpeg

815293ED-B605-4270-851E-CC04F3C598B9.jpeg

Everything makes sense. I’m just not sure why the bounds for ‘s’ where z-r to z+r. From my perspective, z+r is the left hemisphere while z-r is the right hemisphere because we can consider the relationship between s, r, and z from the vector relation s=z-r. If i set the positive axis to point to the left, if sort of makes sense to integrate from z+r to z-r but this would obviously yield a negative result. So, I’m curious about detmining the proper bounds.

Attachments

• 2144084E-89F7-4467-9BDF-A100591ED4FE.jpeg
    2144084E-89F7-4467-9BDF-A100591ED4FE.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 629
  • 815293ED-B605-4270-851E-CC04F3C598B9.jpeg
    815293ED-B605-4270-851E-CC04F3C598B9.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
I think what happens here is that when the book does the change of coordinates, it matches limits of integration appropriately. When θ = 0 (lower limit), s = z - r and when θ = π (upper limit), s = z + r.

By the way, is this Stratton's book you're looking at?

I'm so embarrassed. You're right. Just plugging in the prior bounds gets the result. I thought of doing that but I sort of just eye-balled it and thought it wouldn't give me the result I was looking for. Sorry about that.

It's a text by Corson and Lorrain. Definitely not as rigorous as the Stratton text.

What is the purpose of finding integration bounds for E-field calculation?

The integration bounds for E-field calculation are used to determine the limits within which the electric field can be measured or calculated. This helps to accurately determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a specific point in space.

How are integration bounds determined for E-field calculation?

Integration bounds for E-field calculation are determined by considering the geometry and symmetry of the electric field distribution. This involves identifying the boundaries of the region where the electric field needs to be calculated and setting appropriate limits for the integration.

Can integration bounds for E-field calculation change for different scenarios?

Yes, integration bounds for E-field calculation can vary depending on the specific scenario being analyzed. For example, the bounds may change if the shape or size of the electric field distribution changes, or if the orientation of the field changes.

What happens if the integration bounds are not set correctly for E-field calculation?

If the integration bounds are not set correctly, it can lead to inaccurate results for the electric field. This can result in incorrect predictions and analysis of electric field effects, which can have serious consequences in a scientific or engineering context.

Are there any techniques to simplify determining integration bounds for E-field calculation?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to simplify the process of determining integration bounds for E-field calculation. These include using symmetries in the electric field distribution, choosing appropriate coordinate systems, and breaking down complex shapes into simpler ones.