1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts (multivariable)

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I can find on Wikipedia the "formula" for integration by parts for the case where there is a multi-variable integrand, but I would like to know what substitutions to make in order to show my steps.

2. Relevant equations
    For multiple variables we have
    [tex]\int_{\Omega}{{\partial u}\over{\partial x_i}}vdx=-\int_{\Omega}{{\partial v}\over{\partial x_i}}udx[/tex].
    assuming that we can drop the surface term for physical reasons. Here, u and v are functions of several variables, say {[tex]x_1, x_2, ....x_n[/tex]}
    First of all, should the [tex]dx[/tex] be a [tex]dx_i[/tex] ??
    Now, my real question is; what substitutions do I make in order to show this?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel like the generalization from 1D to the above higher-D version should be obvious, but it just isn't to me. I guess what is bothering me is that e.g.
    [tex]du = \sum {{\partial u}\over{\partial x_i}}dx_i[/tex]. And I can't get this to fit into a derivation of the equation in 2. (above)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just as in one variable calculus, what you choose to be u and what you choose to be dv depends heavily on the particular function you are trying to integrate! Do you have a particular example to show us?

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    I don't have particular functions to work with. I have a sum like
    [tex]\sum_{i} \int dx_{1}...dx_{n}dp_{1}...dp_{n} A t \left( {\partial H \over {\partial x_{i}}}{\partial \rho \over \partial p_{i}}-{\partial H \over {\partial p_{i}}}{\partial \rho \over \partial x_{i}} \right)[/tex],
    and I am just trying to bring the derivatives from [tex]\rho[/tex] over to the A. Here, [tex]\rho[/tex] and A are functions of the x_i and p_i's, and t is time, i.e an independent variable.

What would be nice is a derivation of the integration by parts formula in part 2. of my original post

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?