Integration, complex roots and radians

In summary, the first one, integration, Daniel was unsure if the integral of a constant wrt theta was constant*theta. He found z = log(2 \pm i\sqrt{5}) and after finding z and i he was able to solve for the roots. The second problem, radians, he was looking for a formula due to Viète and AlphaNumeric suggested i = e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}+2\pi ni}. This gave him the 5 solutions of z^{5}=i. Lastly, the average value of the n roots will be their sum divided by n. Geometrically, this is the centre of the circle, the origin. So the
shan
The first one, integration, I just want to check my answer.

[tex]\int \frac{1}{64} (\cos6\theta + 6\cos4\theta + 15\cos2\theta + 20) = \frac{1}{64} (\frac{\sin6\theta}{6} + \frac{6\sin4\theta}{4} + \frac{15\sin2\theta}{2} + 20\theta + c[/tex]

I just wasn't sure if the integral of a constant wrt theta was constant*theta.

The complex roots question:
[tex]z^5 - i = (z-w1)(z-w2)(z-w3)(z-w4)(z-w5) = 0[/tex]
Show that w1 + w2 + w3 + w4 + w5 = 0

From what our lecturer told us, [tex]-\prod_{1}[/tex] = 0 so the sum of the roots = 0. I don't really understand this though :confused:

The radians problem... is basically because I don't know how to express radian in decimals into pi radians. [As part of an answer for coshz = 2i] I want to express the argument of [tex]2 \pm \sqrt{5}[/tex] which would be [tex]\tan^{-1} \sqrt{5}/2[/tex].
In case you want to know, I found [tex]z = log(2 \pm i\sqrt{5}) = ln|2 \pm i\sqrt{5}| + i arg(2 \pm i\sqrt{5})[/tex]
I just need help finishing up the question :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean...?

[tex] \int 0 \ d\theta = \mbox{const}_{1} \cdot \theta + \mbox{const}_{2}[/tex]

If so, then it's simply wrong, unless [itex] \mbox{const}_{1}=0 [/itex] which doesn't make any sense to write in the first place...

For the second problem, couldn't u use a formula due to Viète...?

Daniel.

For the roots one, try writing i as [tex]i = e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}+2\pi ni}[/tex] and taking the fifth root of that. Then you can sum a geometric series to give you the answer.

dextercioby said:
Do you mean...?

[tex] \int 0 \ d\theta = \mbox{const}_{1} \cdot \theta + \mbox{const}_{2}[/tex]

If so, then it's simply wrong, unless [itex] \mbox{const}_{1}=0 [/itex] which doesn't make any sense to write in the first place...

oops sorry, I missed out a 20 in the integral so I'm asking if

[tex]\int 20 d\theta = 20\theta[/tex]

dextercioby said:
For the second problem, couldn't u use a formula due to Viète...?
I have never heard of this forumla?

And also, AlphaNumeric, could you explain why you suggested [tex]i = e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}+2\pi ni}[/tex]??

[tex]z^{5} = i[/tex]

You're looking for the 5 solutions of this equation, you're [tex]\omega_{1}[/tex] to [tex]\omega_{5}[/tex]

They are clearly of modulus 1, and complex, so you'll have [tex]\omega_{n} = e^{it}[/tex] for some t you need to find. They are easy to find if you write i in for form I suggest.

[tex]z^{5} = e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}+2\pi n i}[/tex]
Take 5th roots to get
[tex]z = e^{\frac{i\pi}{10}+\frac{2\pi n i}{5}[/tex]

Usually express arguments in the range 0 to 2pi, so find the values of n which give you an argument in that range. n=0,1,2,3,4 will give you that, giving you roots

[tex]w_{1} = e^{\frac{i\pi}{10}}[/tex]
[tex]w_{2} = e^{\frac{i\pi}{10}+\frac{2\pi i}{5}} = e^{\frac{5i\pi}{10}} = e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}} = i[/tex]
etc

There's your 5 roots. Now you want to show they sum to zero. Well there's 5 of them and they are in geometric series, and you know how to sum those. The general formula is

[tex]S_{n} = a\frac{r^{n}-1}{r-1} [/tex]

In this case [tex]r = e^{\frac{2\pi i}{5}}[/tex], so [tex]r^{5} = 1[/tex], and so [tex]S_{n} = 0[/tex].

Last edited:
ok, thanks for your help alphanumeric, it's a little easier to see why it is true that way.

For a more graphical representation for why it's true, think about an Argand diagram. If you've the equation [tex]z^{n} = k[/tex] for any complex k, then the roots will be centred about the origin in a circle spread at an angle [tex]\frac{2\pi}{n}[/tex] radians apart from one another. You can see this from writing [tex]k = re^{i\theta}[/tex] (as I did for i) and repeating that method.

The average value of the n roots will be their sum divided by n. Geometrically, this is the centre of the circle, the origin. Therefore they sum to zero.

As an example, consider [tex]z^{n} = 16[/tex]. Solutions are 2, -2, 2i, -2i. Plot them in the complex plane and you'll see they lie on a circle radius 2, with the circle centred on the origin.

I hope that helps you're understanding a bit :smile:

What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to calculate important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement in physics, as well as solve various real-world problems in fields like engineering and economics.

What are complex roots and why do they occur?

Complex roots are solutions to an equation in the form of a + bi, where i is the imaginary unit and a and b are real numbers. They occur when solving equations that involve square roots of negative numbers, such as quadratic equations with no real solutions. Complex roots are important in fields like engineering, where they are used to solve problems involving alternating currents and signal processing.

What are radians and how are they related to degrees?

Radians are a unit of measurement for angles, where one radian is equal to the angle subtended by an arc of length equal to the radius of the circle. They are used to measure angles in trigonometric functions and are closely related to degrees, where 360 degrees is equal to 2π radians.

How do you integrate functions involving complex numbers?

To integrate functions involving complex numbers, we use techniques such as substitution and partial fractions. We also need to use the rules of complex numbers, such as the conjugate rule, to simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate.

How can we convert between radians and degrees?

To convert from radians to degrees, we multiply the number of radians by 180/π. To convert from degrees to radians, we multiply the number of degrees by π/180. For example, 45 degrees is equal to 45π/180 radians, or π/4 radians. We can also use a calculator or a conversion table to quickly convert between these units.