1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration - Find the x coordinate and the area under the curve

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/dfdfu.jpg

2. Relevant equations

To find the x coordinate

1. Make both equations equal, expose e and take logs. I'm not sure how to do this and I've tried but keep getting the wrong answer.

2. To find the area, subract the higher curve from the lower curve and integrate. I can do this. I only need help finding the x coordinate.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. y=e^(x-3)/2 and y =e^(2x-7)

e^(x-3)/2 =e^(2x-7)

Now take logs of both sides. How?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    [tex] \ln (e^{f(x)})=f(x) [/tex] But watch out for the fraction over 2. First, move it over to the other side. Then be careful, as [itex] \ln (2e^{2x-7}) \neq 2e^{2x-7} [/itex]

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3

Thanks for your reply. I get:

1/2e^(x-3)=e^(2x-7)
    e^(x-3)=2(e^(2x-7))
    lne^(x-3)=ln(e^(2x-7))
    (x-3)/2=2x-7
    x=11/3

'Express your answer in the form a-lnb.How?

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4
    Whoops! your 2 disappeared for a line, then it came back. You can't do that. You still need to figure out what [itex] \ln (2e^{2x-7}) [/itex] is. Hint: [itex] \ln (a) + \ln (b)=\ln (ab) [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook