Integration - Find the x coordinate and the area under the curve

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
studentxlol
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/dfdfu.jpg

Homework Equations



To find the x coordinate

1. Make both equations equal, expose e and take logs. I'm not sure how to do this and I've tried but keep getting the wrong answer.

2. To find the area, subract the higher curve from the lower curve and integrate. I can do this. I only need help finding the x coordinate.

The Attempt at a Solution



1. y=e^(x-3)/2 and y =e^(2x-7)

e^(x-3)/2 =e^(2x-7)

Now take logs of both sides. How?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\ln (e^{f(x)})=f(x)[/tex] But watch out for the fraction over 2. First, move it over to the other side. Then be careful, as [itex]\ln (2e^{2x-7}) \neq 2e^{2x-7}[/itex]
 
ArcanaNoir said:
[tex]\ln (e^{f(x)})=f(x)[/tex] But watch out for the fraction over 2. First, move it over to the other side. Then be careful, as [itex]\ln (2e^{2x-7}) \neq 2e^{2x-7}[/itex]


Thanks for your reply. I get:

1/2e^(x-3)=e^(2x-7)
e^(x-3)=2(e^(2x-7))
lne^(x-3)=ln(e^(2x-7))
(x-3)/2=2x-7
x=11/3

'Express your answer in the form a-lnb.How?
 
Whoops! your 2 disappeared for a line, then it came back. You can't do that. You still need to figure out what [itex]\ln (2e^{2x-7})[/itex] is. Hint: [itex]\ln (a) + \ln (b)=\ln (ab)[/itex]