Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of functions of Complex Variables

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    We can show that
    [tex]
    \int_{0}^\infty e^{-kx}dx=\frac{1}{k}
    [/tex]
    for real $$k>0.$$

Does this result hold for $$\Re k>0$$ belonging to complex numbers? The reason I have this question is because $$i\times\infty$$ is not $$\infty$$ and so u substitution would not work.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Let's try this. We'll extend k to a+ib, and see what happens to our integral:

[tex]e^{-(a+ib)x} = e^{-a x} e^{-i b x} = e^{-a x} cos(b x) - i e^{-a x} sin(b x)[/tex]

Integrating this, we get the following two integrals:

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-a x} cos(b x) dx = \frac{a}{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-a x} sin(b x) dx = \frac{b}{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]

Summing these two, we get [itex]\frac{a - i b}{a^2 + b^2}[/itex], or 1/(a + i b). Note that to get this, we DID assume that Re(k)>0, and we got as our answer 1/k. So we can say that e^(-k x), integrated from 0 to infinity, will give 1/k, where k is any complex number with real part greater than zero.

In other words, yes, that's correct.

4. Feb 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks for responding

I talked to my professor and he said that if you look at the Riemann sphere, you could just assume that i*infinity is equal to infinity. The reason I got confused was because there is a similar notation which appears in the formula for the inverse Laplace transform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?