Integration of log(1-x) from 0 to 1

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Suvadip
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Suvadip
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
How to evaluate $$\int^1_0 log(1-x) dx $$

I am confused as log is not defined at 0. Please help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
suvadip said:
How to evaluate $$\int^1_0 log(1-x) dx $$

I am confused as log is not defined at 0. Please help

The fact that ln x is undefined for x=0 has no importance... what You have to do is computing... $\displaystyle \lim_{t \rightarrow 1} \int_{0}^{t} \ln (1-x)\ dx$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
 
suvadip said:
How to evaluate $$\int^1_0 log(1-x) dx $$

I am confused as log is not defined at 0. Please help

This is an improper integral which might converge or diverge. You can use integration by parts to solve it .