Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of the reciprocal lattice

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    I am studying Solid state physics from kittel and I am stuck at the following equation. I can see that the exponential term turns to the kroneckler delta, but I dont understand how the integral gives the volume of the specimen, Ω? What am I not seeing?

∫d3x f(x)eiK.x = [itex]\sum[/itex] aG∫d3x ei(K+G).x = Ω[itex]\sum[/itex]aGδk,-G

f(x) is the fourier transform of the lattice, ie. the reciprocal lattice and he wants to prove that integration is not zero unless k is a vector in the reciprocal lattice G

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2012 #2
    If k = -G, then the value in the exponential is zero, which means your integral reduces to the integral of just d^3x, which is going to result in the volume of the space over which the integration occurs.

4. Aug 2, 2012 #3
    I see it now.

Is there any significance to the fact that k=-G? That is, k is in the opposite direction of the reciprocal lattice vector G

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook