Integration problem to calculate partition function of a gase in a blackbody

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
PullMeOut
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is the integration i have to solve
I=[tex]\int x^{2}In(1-exp(-ax))dx[/tex]
integration is from zero to infinity




The Attempt at a Solution


I know that it should be solved with integration by parts
so
u=In(1-exp(-ax))
du=[a exp(-ax)] / [1-exp(-ax)]
dv=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]dx
v=x[tex]^{3}[/tex] /3
when i put this into the integration formula
I=u*v-[tex]\int v*du[/tex]
it becomes more complicated
I=In(1-exp(-ax))*x[tex]^{3}[/tex]/3 - [tex]\int dx * (x^3/3) * [a exp(-ax)] / [1-exp(-ax)][/tex]
so what should i do after this , i can't figure it out, am i doing it wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Gamma function and expand integrand using geometric series.
 
if i do that i should calculate the series from zero to infinity. when will i know that i should stop?
 
You should get some good looking series at the end, and you can get a closed form expression. Usually, one ends up with some kind of zeta functions.

You might get things like:
[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^4}=\frac{\pi^4}{90}[/tex]

which can be simplified by consulting some tables.
 
well thank you for your help. now i will give it a try.