Integration Question I have a midterm in 45 mins AH

In summary, the conversation discusses an integration question involving a given integral, f(t) and C. The approach suggested is to use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC) and find a function F(t) such that F(x²) = -(5x^2)/(x^4+6), and then differentiate to get f(t). It is also mentioned to use substitution and partial fractions. To find C, one can let x be a convenient value and evaluate.
deerhake.11
Integration Question.. I have a midterm in 45 mins! AH!

Homework Statement

integral with bounds [5,x^2] of f(t)dt = (5x^2)/(x^4+6) + C

f(t) = ?
C = ?

Homework Equations

Uhm.. I don't know. I am guessing you have to use the FTC.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've have tried so many different types of substitution and stuff with no luck. I really have no idea what method is required to solve this; I don't remember learning it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably way beyond me but have you tried partial fractions? And substitution?

Can you show what you've tried?

Last edited:
The FTC says that

[tex]\int_a^b f(t)dt = F(b)-F(a)[/tex]

where F'(t)=f(t).

So you want to find which function F(t) is such that F(x²) = -(5x^2)/(x^4+6). Then differentiate it to get f(t). About C, well C=F(5), so once you get F(t), finding C is a formality.

Yes, the derivative of [tex]\int_a^x f(t)dt[/itex] is f(x). But you are given [itex]\int_a^{x^2} f(t)dt[/itex]. Let u= x2 and use the chain rule: [itex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/itex].

To determine C, let x= some convenient value and evaluate.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems related to motion, volume, and other physical and mathematical quantities.

2. How do I prepare for an integration midterm?

To prepare for an integration midterm, it is important to review all of the concepts and techniques covered in class. Practice solving various types of integration problems and make sure to understand the steps and reasoning behind each solution. It may also be helpful to create study aids, such as flashcards or summary sheets, to reinforce your understanding.

3. What are some common integration techniques?

Some common integration techniques include u-substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. It is important to understand when and how to apply each technique to solve different types of integration problems.

4. How can I check my work when solving an integration problem?

To check your work when solving an integration problem, you can use a graphing calculator or an online integration calculator to verify your answer. You can also differentiate your answer to see if it matches the original function.

5. What should I do if I get stuck on an integration problem during the midterm?

If you get stuck on an integration problem during the midterm, try to remain calm and focus on the steps and techniques you have learned. It may be helpful to work backwards from the answer choices or to try a different technique. If you are still struggling, move on to another problem and come back to it later if time permits.