1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration test of dirac delta function as a Fourier integral

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem:
    a) Find the Fourier transform of the Dirac delta function: δ(x)
    b) Transform back to real space, and plot the result, using a varying number of Fourier components (waves).
    c) test by integration, that the delta function represented by a Fourier integral integrates to 1

2. Relevant equations
    So far I've done a) and b) and the delta function turns out to be [itex] \delta (x) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\omega x}d\omega [/itex]

I've plotted this and it seems to be correct, and I also asked some other students in class and they got the same result, so i don't think that's the issue.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So to solve c) I try to integrate δ(x) from -∞ to ∞, but it shouldn't really matter as long as 0 is between the integration limits.
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i\omega x}d\omega dx\\
    \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left[\frac{1}{ix}e^{i\omega x}\right]_{\infty}^{\infty} dx\\
    \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x}\frac{1}{2i}(e^{i\infty x} - e^{-i\infty x}) dx\\
    \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x}\sin(\infty x) dx
    [/tex]
    Apparently I end up with an integral that's impossible to solve (without approximation), and the sine function has infinity as its argument... So I was hoping you would know where I went wrong.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The last three lines are nonsense; you need to take a limit. Use
    [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_N^N e^{i\omega x}d\omega dx[/tex]
    for finite ##N > 0##. Work it through, then take the limit as ##N \to \infty##.

Hint: Dirichlet Kernel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted