Integration using Eulers formual

In summary: You want to make sin on the left side in the integral for.When you get the right side in the form A+Bi. B is supposed to be the required integral.
cragar

Homework Statement

e^(-2x)*sin(3x)dx

Homework Equations

using e^(ix)=cosx+isinx

The Attempt at a Solution

so i get e^(-2+i3)(x)

so then after i integrate i get (e^(-2+i3)(x))/(-2+i3) then i multiply by the conjegate to get the i out of the bottom then i multiply it by cos(3x)+isin(3x) then pick out the real part is this correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
So how do you get from e-2xsin(3x) to e(-2 + 3i)x?

cause i think e^(3ix)=cos(3x)+isin(3x) i don't know i know it works with
e^(-2x)*(cos(3x)

cragar said:
cause i think e^(3ix)=cos(3x)+isin(3x) i don't know i know it works with
e^(-2x)*(cos(3x)

then you'd want to extract the imaginary component to get the required integral, right?

yes but the sin(3x) is throwing me
so in the formula e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x) in that formula the cosx is the real part
but in our case we need the sinX to be the real part so do we need to manipluate the formula to make it work am i no the right track.

cragar said:
yes but the sin(3x) is throwing me
so in the formula e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x) in that formula the cosx is the real part
but in our case we need the sinX to be the real part so do we need to manipluate the formula to make it work am i no the right track.

[tex]\int e^{2+3i}x dx = \int e^{2x}e^{3xi}dx=\int (e^{2x}cos3x+ie^{2x}sin3x)dx=A+Bi[/tex]

A+Bi is what you realized when you integrated exp(2+3i)

[tex]\int (e^{2x}cos3x+ie^{2x}sin3x)dx = \int e^{2x}cos3x dx + i \int e^{2x}sin3x dx =A+iB[/tex]

So if you equate the real and imaginary components...

the imaginary part B= [itex]\int e^{2x}sin3x dx[/itex]

I believe you're on the wrong track. Another approach is to integrate by parts twice. After the first application the part you integrate will be something like e^(-2x)cos(3x). Apply integration by parts one more time to get an integral similar to the one you started with. You'll should have an equation in which you can solve algebraically for the integral you want.

the whole reason for doing this is to avoid integration by parts which i know how to do it that way. i want to learn how to do it this way .

OK, then rock.freak's and your direction is the way to go...

ok so would i then divide everything by i in the formula to make sinx the real part then use that so i would have e^(ix)/i=cosx/i + sinx or is that wrong

cragar said:
ok so would i then divide everything by i in the formula to make sinx the real part then use that so i would have e^(ix)/i=cosx/i + sinx or is that wrong

I still don't get why you want to make sin on the left side in the integral for.When you get the right side in the form A+Bi. B is supposed to be the required integral.

k i think i get it now.

1. What is Eulers formula for integration?

Euler's formula for integration is a mathematical formula that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that eix = cos(x) + i sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. How is Eulers formula used in integration?

Euler's formula is used in integration to simplify the integration of complex functions involving trigonometric functions. It allows for the conversion of complex numbers into trigonometric functions, making integration easier and more efficient.

3. What are the benefits of using Eulers formula in integration?

The main benefit of using Eulers formula in integration is that it simplifies the process and reduces the number of steps required to solve an integral involving trigonometric functions. It also helps in solving more complex integrals that cannot be solved using traditional integration techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to using Eulers formula in integration?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Eulers formula in integration. It is only applicable to integrals involving trigonometric functions and cannot be used for other types of integrals. Additionally, it may not always provide the most accurate results, especially for highly complex functions.

5. Can Eulers formula be used for both definite and indefinite integration?

Yes, Eulers formula can be used for both definite and indefinite integration. It can help in solving integrals with either a specific range of integration or no specified range. However, it may require some additional steps or modifications when used for definite integration.