1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration, where am i going wrong here?

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1

vector V(t=0)=0
    Vector R(t=0)=0

1-the displacement from the 1st to the 3rd second
    2-the distance travelled fron the 2st to 3rd second
    using integration,

then i found r(t=1)=(0.5,-4)
    and r(t=3)=(40.5,-18)

delta(r)=42.38, which is the answer to question 1
    now to find the distance travelled what i would like to do is integrate the vector V from 1 to 3, but once i get an answer for x and y, how do i connect them to get the scalar D, the distance he travelled?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2
    can i apply pythagarus with x and y values?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    That sounds right... the motion here is separable along x- and y-directions.
  5. Nov 8, 2008 #4
    sorrry, should read

then i found r(t=1)=(0.5,-2)
    and r(t=3)=(40.5,-18)

delta(r)=43.08, which is the answer to question 1,
    i did this by adding the sqared values of x and y and then square root on the answer, i think this gives me the displacement
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
  6. Nov 8, 2008 #5
    thats fine, but what im looking for is the total distance travelled, not the displacemetn,,, so for example, if he travelled 10m X+, 7m X-, 20mY+,10mY-, what im looking for is 10+7+20+10, the total travelled, not sqrt(3^2+10^2),, problem here is its a complicated curve not straightforward, x then y. how do i calculate that? wont the integral just give me the displacement? also, how do i get a single scalar value, if i know that he walked 40m on X and 16 on y is the distance travelled43.08m?/ how else can i find it other thn pythagarus
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?