Integrations involving hypergeometrics

• Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed rewriting a complex integral into a more manageable form using a change of variables and partial fraction decomposition. The resulting integrand was expressed in terms of a series, which was shown to be uniformly convergent on a compact set. The limit of the integral over the entire domain was then discussed, with the possibility of exchanging the sum and double integral. The resulting expression still requires further calculation, as it involves a sum over an infinite series.
CAF123
Gold Member
I am considering the following integral $$\int_{-t}^{\infty} \frac{dy}{y-s} \frac{1}{y^2} \frac{1}{y^{\epsilon}} {}_2F_1(1,1,2+\epsilon, -t/y)$$ Rewriting the hypergeometric using its integral representation and making a change of variables ##y=-t/u## I obtain the integral, up to some numerical factors, $$\int_0^1 \int_0^1 dz\, du (1-uz)^{-1}u^{1+\epsilon} (1-z)^{\epsilon} (1+\frac{us}{t})^{-1}$$ Then a partial fraction decomposition gives $$\frac{1}{(1-uz)} \frac{1}{(1+\frac{us}{t})} = \frac{z}{\frac{s}{t}+z} \frac{1}{(1-uz)} + \frac{\frac{s}{t}}{\frac{s}{t}+z}\frac{1}{(1+\frac{us}{t})}$$ which gives $$\int_0^1 \int_0^1 dz\, du\, u^{1+\epsilon} (1-z)^{\epsilon} \left(\frac{z}{s/t + z} \frac{1}{1-uz} + \frac{s/t}{s/t+z}\frac{1}{1+us/t}\right)\,\,(1)$$ The second term there can be written as $$\int_0^1 \int_0^1 dz\, du\, u^{1+\epsilon} (1-z)^{\epsilon} \frac{s/t}{s/t+z}\frac{1}{1+us/t}=
{}_2F_1\left(1,1,2+\epsilon,-t/s\right)\int_0^1 du\, \frac{u^{1+\epsilon}}{1+us/t},$$ so I am left with what looks like a non trivial integral over u. (*)

The first term in (1) still looks less tractable because of the coupled dependence (1-uz). Maybe I can use a geometric series here but I am unsure of how this would help. (**)

Any ideas how to tackle (*) and/or (**), would be great!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, this looks awful !

Let's write ## F(u,z) = \frac{u^{1+\epsilon} (1-z)^\epsilon }{1-uz} \frac{1}{1+au} ##, where ##a = s/t##.

I make the assumption that ##a,\epsilon >0##, I hope its OK for what you need.

The function ##F## is continuous on ##V = [0,1]^2 - \{1,1\} = [0,1]\times [0,1[ \cup [0,1[ \times [0,1] ##, so you can always assume ##|uz| < 1##.

Therefore you can express ##F## in terms of a convergent serie on ##V## : ## F(u,z) = S_N(u,z) + R_N(u,z) ##,
where ##S_N (u,z) = \sum_{n = 0}^N \frac{u^{1+n +\epsilon}z^n (1-z)^{\epsilon}}{1+au}##, and ##R_N(u,z) = \sum_{n = N+1}^{+\infty} \frac{u^{1+n +\epsilon} z^n (1-z)^{\epsilon}}{1+au}##.

In particular, I'm 99.5% sure that on any compact ##K \subset V##, the serie is uniformly convergent, so ##\int_K R_N ## will tend to 0 as ##N\to \infty##, so that on ##K##, you can exchange the sum and the double integral :

##\int_K F(u,z) \ dudz = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \int_K \frac{u^{1+n +\epsilon}z^n (1-z)^{\epsilon}}{1+au}##.

You can consider the compacts ##K_{\alpha,\beta} = [0,\alpha]\times [0,\beta] ##, for ##\alpha,\beta < 1##

Then the double integration is a product of two single integrations.

Now you need someone more knowledgeable than me to tell you whether it is true that ##\int_V F(u,z) = \lim_{(\alpha,\beta)\to(1,1)} \int_{K_{\alpha,\beta}} F(u,z) ##. If yes you are done, otherwise my post is useless :-(Hope there aren't too many mistakes here !

Hi geoffrey159, thanks for your reply.
Let's write ## F(u,z) = \frac{u^{1+\epsilon} (1-z)^\epsilon }{1-uz} \frac{1}{1+au} ##, where ##a = s/t##.
Isn't the integrand $$F(u.z) = \frac{u^{1+\epsilon} (1-z)^{\epsilon} z}{(s/t + z)(1-uz)}?$$
I make the assumption that ##a,\epsilon >0##, I hope its OK for what you need.
Ah, a<0 in my case but I don't think you used this fact anywhere below?
The function ##F## is continuous on ##V = [0,1]^2 - \{1,1\} = [0,1]\times [0,1[ \cup [0,1[ \times [0,1] ##, so you can always assume ##|uz| < 1##.
So here you are saying that the integrand is continuous on the domain ##[0,1]^2## except when ##u## and ##z## are both 1? So if we keep the sets open then we can always have |uz|<1? I come from a physics background so I probably said that very loosely :)
Therefore you can express ##F## in terms of a convergent serie on ##V## : ## F(u,z) = S_N(u,z) + R_N(u,z) ##,
where ##S_N (u,z) = \sum_{n = 0}^N \frac{u^{1+n +\epsilon}z^n (1-z)^{\epsilon}}{1+au}##, and ##R_N(u,z) = \sum_{n = N+1}^{+\infty} \frac{u^{1+n +\epsilon} z^n (1-z)^{\epsilon}}{1+au}##.

In particular, I'm 99.5% sure that on any compact ##K \subset V##, the serie is uniformly convergent, so ##\int_K R_N ## will tend to 0 as ##N\to \infty##, so that on ##K##, you can exchange the sum and the double integral :

##\int_K F(u,z) \ dudz = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \int_K \frac{u^{1+n +\epsilon}z^n (1-z)^{\epsilon}}{1+au}##.

You can consider the compacts ##K_{\alpha,\beta} = [0,\alpha]\times [0,\beta] ##, for ##\alpha,\beta < 1##

Then the double integration is a product of two single integrations.

Now you need someone more knowledgeable than me to tell you whether it is true that ##\int_V F(u,z) = \lim_{(\alpha,\beta)\to(1,1)} \int_{K_{\alpha,\beta}} F(u,z) ##. If yes you are done, otherwise my post is useless :-(
Ok I will speak to my prof about this. If we assume that indeed the limit is true, then I have $$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \int_0^1 dz \int_0^1 du \frac{u^{1+\epsilon+n} z^{n+1}(1-z)^{\epsilon}}{(s/t+z)}.$$ This then gives two single integrations which I can write like $$ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{t}{s} \left(\int_0^1 du\,u^{1+n+\epsilon}\right) \frac{\Gamma(n+2) \Gamma(1+\epsilon)}{\Gamma(n+3+\epsilon)} {}_2F_1\left(1, n+2, n+3+\epsilon, -\frac{t}{s}\right) = \frac{t}{s}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n+2+\epsilon} \frac{\Gamma(n+2) \Gamma(1+\epsilon)}{\Gamma(n+3+\epsilon)} {}_2F_1\left(1, n+2, n+3+\epsilon, -\frac{t}{s}\right)$$ I don't really see how to calculate this sum, any thoughts here?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a hypergeometric function?

A hypergeometric function is a special type of function that is used to solve integrals that involve a combination of polynomial and exponential terms. It is defined as a power series that satisfies a second-order linear differential equation.

2. What is the significance of integrations involving hypergeometric functions?

Integrations involving hypergeometric functions are important in many areas of mathematics and physics, as they allow us to solve a wide range of problems involving series expansions, special functions, and differential equations. They also have applications in statistics and probability, where they can be used to calculate probabilities and expected values.

3. What are some common examples of integrations involving hypergeometric functions?

One common example is the evaluation of definite integrals that involve a combination of polynomials and exponential functions, such as the integral of e^x * x^n, where n is a positive integer. Another example is the solution of differential equations that can be expressed in terms of hypergeometric functions, such as the hypergeometric differential equation.

4. How are integrations involving hypergeometric functions typically solved?

Integrations involving hypergeometric functions are typically solved using a variety of techniques, including power series expansions, contour integration, and the use of special identities and properties of hypergeometric functions. Computer software, such as Mathematica or Maple, can also be used to evaluate these integrals.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrations involving hypergeometric functions?

Integrations involving hypergeometric functions have applications in many areas of science and engineering, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and electromagnetism. They are also used in finance, where they can be used to model stock prices and calculate option prices. In addition, they have applications in physics and astronomy, where they are used to model the behavior of particles and stars.