Intensity in Young's double slit experiment problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses using Young's double slit experiment to find the total amplitude of two sources of electromagnetic waves and the resulting irradiance on an illuminated plane. There is a question about using the cosine rule and the person asking for help is unsure if it is applicable.
IrAlien
Hello all, I have a problem that requires some knowledge about Young's double slit experiment.

The question is as follows:
Imagine performing Young's experiment with one slit wider than the other so that the intensity passing the wider slit is four times as great as that passing the narrower slit. Assume both slits are still 'thin' and act as line sources and show that I = Inaught.(5+4cos(phi))

I do not know where to start... can anyone give me some tips?

Do I use I=4Inaught.[cos(phi/2)^2] ??

Thanks,
Levi

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two sources of electromagnetic waves on a plane. The sources are separated by a given distance. They travel through a given distance through space and illuminate second plane.

What you need to do is find the total amplitude of the two electric fields on the illuminated plane, and then find the irradiance.

Ok thank you for the help. I _think_ I've got it.

Levi

ummm..cant you use Cosine rule to solve this??

I'm not sure.

I probably wouldn't use it, but it might be useful.

Last edited:

1. What is the intensity pattern observed in Young's double slit experiment?

The intensity pattern observed in Young's double slit experiment is a series of bright and dark fringes, known as interference fringes, that are formed on a screen placed behind the double slits. The bright fringes correspond to regions of high intensity, while the dark fringes correspond to regions of low intensity.

2. How is the intensity of light affected by changing the distance between the double slits?

The intensity of light in Young's double slit experiment is directly proportional to the distance between the double slits. As the distance increases, the intensity of the interference pattern decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger distance between the slits results in a larger path difference between the two beams of light, leading to a more spread out interference pattern.

3. What happens to the intensity pattern if the distance between the double slits is greater than the wavelength of the light?

If the distance between the double slits is greater than the wavelength of the light, the interference pattern becomes more complex. This is known as the diffraction regime, where the individual slits act as point sources, resulting in a series of concentric rings of varying intensity on the screen. The central bright spot is known as the central maximum and is surrounded by alternating bright and dark fringes.

4. How does the intensity pattern change if the distance between the double slits is decreased?

If the distance between the double slits is decreased, the intensity of the interference pattern increases. This is because a smaller distance between the slits results in a smaller path difference between the two beams of light, leading to a more concentrated interference pattern with narrower fringes.

5. What factors can affect the intensity pattern in Young's double slit experiment?

The intensity pattern in Young's double slit experiment can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the double slits, the wavelength of the light, and the size of the slits. Other factors such as the quality and coherence of the light source, as well as any obstructions or imperfections in the setup, can also impact the intensity pattern observed on the screen.