Intensity of single slit vs double slit

In summary, the conversation discusses the passing of light of intensity I0 through two sets of apparatus - one with one slit and the other with two slits of equal width. The question is what is the ratio of the outgoing intensity amplitude for the central peak in the two-slit case compared to the single slit. The relevant equations involve constructive and destructive interference from the light waves, and the answer is that the intensity of the double slit is larger by a factor of 4. However, the method to get to this answer is not clear from the text and further research on single slits, double slits, amplitudes, and intensities may be necessary.
Snydes

Homework Statement

Light of intensity I0 passes through two sets of apparatus.
One contains one slit and the other two slits. The
slits have the same width. What is the ratio of the out
going intensity amplitude for the central peak for the
two-slit case compared to the single slit?

Homework Equations

The text doesn't give any, I assume it has to do with constructive and destructive interference from the light waves.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried using equations for intensity that I've been given from other classes for double and single slit intensity but doesn't really leave me anywhere useful, plus if they're not given in the text then that's probably not the way to go about it. I've also considered superposition.
The answer turns out to be that the intensity of the double slit is larger by a factor of 4 but don't know how to get there

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the tekst give ? You're invited to come up with some relevant equations, not with summing up what isn't given. Perhaps you want to search in earlier textbooks what you can find about single slits, double slits, amplitudes, intensities ?

1. What is the difference between intensity of single slit and double slit?

The intensity of a single slit experiment refers to the amount of light or energy that passes through a single narrow slit. In contrast, the intensity of a double slit experiment is the result of interference between two narrow slits, which can either amplify or cancel out the light passing through them.

2. How does the intensity of a single slit compare to that of a double slit?

The intensity of a single slit is typically greater than that of a double slit, as the interference pattern in a double slit experiment reduces the overall intensity. This is due to the fact that the light waves passing through the slits interfere with each other, resulting in areas of constructive and destructive interference.

3. What factors affect the intensity of a single slit?

The intensity of a single slit is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the incident light, the width of the slit, and the distance from the slit to the screen where the intensity is measured. Additionally, the intensity can also be affected by the presence of diffraction patterns caused by the edges of the slit.

4. Can the intensity of a double slit be manipulated?

Yes, the intensity of a double slit can be manipulated by changing the distance between the two slits, the width of the slits, or the wavelength of the incident light. These changes can result in variations in the interference pattern and therefore the overall intensity of the light on the screen.

5. What is the purpose of studying the intensity of single slit vs double slit?

Studying the intensity of single slit vs double slit can provide insight into the properties of light, such as its wave-like behavior and the phenomenon of interference. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, from optics and engineering to astronomy and quantum mechanics.