1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of Diffraction Pattern

1. Nov 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An interference pattern is produced by light with a wavelength 580 nm from a distant source incident on two identical parallel slits separated by a distance (between centers) of 0.480 mm .

Let the slits have a width 0.320 mm . In terms of the intensity I_0 at the center of the central maximum, what is the intensity at the angular position of θ_1?

Edit: Apologies in advance for the messy equation below. I'm not quite sure how to use the toolbar above for subscripts and exponents.

2. Relevant equations
    I_1 = I_0 * cos^2((π*d*sin(θ_1) / λ)*((sin(π*a*sin(θ_1)/λ)/(π*a*sin(θ_1)/λ))^2

θ_1 = 1.21*10^-3 rad

d = .480*10^-3 m

a = .320*10^-3 m

λ = 580*10^-9 m

3. The attempt at a solution
    The equation is just multiplying the interference pattern by the diffraction pattern. Mostly just plugging in the variables and then solving from there.

The answer I got was .23[/0], but that was wrong. My question is, since the original problem is stating that the distance is being measured from center, would I subtract the width a from the separation d, so that I find the actual separation between the two slits?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The distance between the slits is measured center-to-center, so you don't need to subtract the slit width.

Your formula is tricky to parse, but I think that the parentheses are unbalanced. It can be tough to keep them straight when rendering them in ascii.

Here's a screen capture of the formula in question:

upload_2016-11-28_20-43-24.png

When I plug in your given values I don't get the same result that you did. (I get a smaller value).

Try breaking your calculation up into smaller steps and present the intermediate results. Perhaps we can spot where our versions diverge.

4. Nov 28, 2016 #3
    Alright so I first calculated π*a*sin(θ)/λ, which I got equal to 2.097

Then I took sin(ANS)/ANS = .4122

.4122^2 = .1699

Since the interference pattern for this problem comes out to approximately 1, the final answer is:

I = .17I_0

Is that what you got?

5. Nov 28, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes. That's what I got.

6. Nov 28, 2016 #5
    Alright, I guess there was some sort of calculator error that messed me up. Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted