Intensity of sound wave & energy passes into ear

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sound intensity at the ear canal using the given equations and distance of 5 m from the sound source. The correct solution is found to be (6.3 x 10^-6) x (1.5 x 10^-4) x 60 = 5.67 x 10^-8. The question of why the area of the ear canal is used instead of the area of energy passing through is also addressed, with the conclusion that the distance of 5 m is taken into account.
coconut62

Homework Statement

Please refer to the image. Question (a).

Homework Equations

I= P/(4∏r^2)
P=E/t

The Attempt at a Solution

After a few attempts, I found the way to get the answer:

(6.3 x 10^-6) x (1.5 x 10^-4) x 60 = 5.67 x 10^-8

But I don't understand why the area of the ear canal is used, instead of the area which the energy carried by the wave passes through. From what I understand, intensity depends on the distance from the source, so how come we don't need to take into account the distance of 5.0m?

Attachments

• 20130430_212053.jpg
    20130430_212053.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
coconut62 said:

Homework Statement

Please refer to the image. Question (a).

Homework Equations

I= P/(4∏r^2)
P=E/t

The Attempt at a Solution

After a few attempts, I found the way to get the answer:

(6.3 x 10^-6) x (1.5 x 10^-4) x 60 = 5.67 x 10^-8

But I don't understand why the area of the ear canal is used, instead of the area which the energy carried by the wave passes through. From what I understand, intensity depends on the distance from the source, so how come we don't need to take into account the distance of 5.0m?
attachment.php?attachmentid=58367&d=1367331297.jpg

The sound intensity at 5 m from the sound source is given. The ear canal is also at 5 m from the source. Therefore the distance of 5 m is taken into account.

Thank you.

1. What is the relationship between intensity of sound waves and energy passing into the ear?

The intensity of a sound wave is directly proportional to the amount of energy that passes into the ear. This means that the higher the intensity of the sound wave, the more energy will be delivered to the ear.

2. How does the intensity of sound waves affect our perception of sound?

The intensity of a sound wave plays a significant role in our perception of sound. Higher intensity sound waves are perceived as louder, while lower intensity sound waves are perceived as softer. This is because our ears are more sensitive to higher intensity sound waves.

3. Can the intensity of sound waves damage our ears?

Yes, exposure to high intensity sound waves over a prolonged period of time can damage our ears. This is known as noise-induced hearing loss and can result in permanent hearing damage. It is important to protect our ears from prolonged exposure to high intensity sound waves.

4. How is the intensity of sound waves measured?

The intensity of sound waves is measured in decibels (dB). This is a logarithmic scale that measures the sound pressure level. The higher the decibel level, the higher the intensity of the sound wave.

5. What factors can affect the intensity of sound waves entering the ear?

The intensity of sound waves entering the ear can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the sound source, the size and shape of the sound source, and the medium through which the sound travels. Other factors such as the presence of obstacles and the direction of the sound can also affect the intensity of the sound wave.