1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of unpolarized light through two polarizers

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    1. Unpolarized light with intensity 440 W/m2 passes first through a polarizing filter with its axis vertical, then through a polarizing filter with its axis 20.0 degrees from vertical.

2. Malus's Law

3. Ok, the intensity after going through the first polarizer should be 1/2 the original. This, after the second polarizer, I = 220*cos20) = 207 W/m2, which is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The filter works by allowing only the parallel component of the electric field, E cos(theta), through. How are the electric field of the light and the intensity of the light related?

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    I = P/A = 0.5c*epsilon_0*E^2

Again, I don't see how to get I from P without knowing A.

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're getting too caught up in just brute force calculation when you should be focusing on how one quantity depends on another. You don't need to know P or A. Think ratios.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook